Hy I m a new user in world puppet
I have installed a packge test on a node "screen" without problem
Now i want to try to uninstall it but without success. This is the file
configuration
this is my file init.pp
package {"screen-4.0.3-16.el6":
ensure=> "absent"
}

#package and purge its config files
package {"screen-4.0.3-16.el6":
ensure => "purged"
}

this is the path of my manifest /etc/puppet/modules/screen/manifests
this is the command that I execute to remove package screen
puppet agent --server=puppet.xxxx.xxxxI

this is the answer

Info: Retrieving plugin
Info: Caching catalog for node.xx.xx.x
Info: Applying configuration version '1365406267'
Notice: Finished catalog run in 0.08 seconds
Effectively screen is already installed

Thank you in advance
I m going mad

Cheers

  • Andy Harley at Apr 9, 2013 at 1:49 am
    Hi Francesco,
    I have installed a packge test on a node "screen" without problem
    Now i want to try to uninstall it but without success. This is the file
    configuration
    this is my file init.pp
    package {"screen-4.0.3-16.el6":
    ensure=> "absent"
    }

    #package and purge its config files
    package {"screen-4.0.3-16.el6":
    ensure => "purged"
    }
    Try it without the version, you should also only need to supply "purged",
    not both absent and purged

    package { 'screen':
    ensure => 'purged',
    }

    You can see more output of the agent command by supplying --verbose or
    --debug to see what it's doing.

    this is the path of my manifest /etc/puppet/modules/screen/manifests
    this is the command that I execute to remove package screen
    puppet agent --server=puppet.xxxx.xxxxI

    this is the answer

    Info: Retrieving plugin
    Info: Caching catalog for node.xx.xx.x
    Info: Applying configuration version '1365406267'
    Notice: Finished catalog run in 0.08 seconds
    Effectively screen is already installed
    Thank you in advance
    I m going mad

    Cheers

  • Jcbollinger at Apr 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm

[...]

    Puppet is not parsing your module's manifest. It would fail with a parse
    error if it tried to do.

    I think you have a misconception: installing or creating a module in your
    module path does not in itself cause any declarations in any of its
    manifests to be applied to client nodes. At a typical site, there are
    multiple kinds of nodes that must be configured differently, sometimes
    including even special one-offs. Puppet therefore has mechanisms for
    assigning specific resource declarations and collections of resource
    declarations to clients. It assigns only those declarations.

    Unless you configure it specially, the master starts with
    <puppet-path>/manifests/site.pp (not init.pp -- that's for modules).
    Declarations in that file apply to all nodes, and it is typical (at least
    when starting with Puppet) to use node declarations to tell Puppet which
    declarations to apply to each particular client. For the time being,
    however you can define just a default node in which you declare the
    appropriate class from your 'screen' module:

    node default {
    include 'screen'
    }

    Puppet determines where to look for the manifest containing class 'screen's
    definition based on the class name. Class definitions are usually assumed
    to be in files <classname>.pp in directories corresponding to their module
    and any intermediate namespaces. Classes that have the same name as the
    module in which they appear are special, however: they should be in files
    named init.pp in their module's manifests directory. In your case that
    would be /etc/puppet/modules/screen/manifests/init.pp. That file should
    contain this:

    class screen {
    package { 'screen':
    ensure => 'purged'

    Note that the version and release codes are NOT part of the package name,
    and if putting them in happens to work in any given context then that is a
    happenstance on which you should not rely and from which you should not
    draw any conclusions. To ensure that a specific version/release of the
    package was installed, you would use the 'ensure' parameter: "ensure =>
    '4.0.3-16.el6'". On the other hand, a lot of people don't care exactly
    which version (ensure => 'installed') or want the latest available version,
    whatever that happens to be (ensure => 'latest').

    Note also that there can be only one declaration for package 'screen' for
    any given node. Puppet does not allow multiple declarations for the same
    resource; this helps you ensure internal consistency of your manifests.

    John

  • Francesco at Apr 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm
    Now eureka I have uninstall screen with rpm and I have created the
    following
    I begun from screen installation again :)))
    /etc/puppet/modules/screen/manifests/init.pp

    class screen {

    package { 'screen':
    ensure => 'present'

    under this path I ve declared class

    /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp

    John I hope to understand what you are trying to say to me....

    But where I can define which packet must have a node rather than another
    Example where can i set if node 1 can have screen an node 2 can have vim
    but not screen and node 3 apache and not vim?? perhups in node.pp ??
    Thank you in advance and to Andy too

    #import 'nodes.pp'
    $puppetserver = 'puppet.xxx.xxx.xxx.it'

    node default {
    include 'screen'

    include 'sudo'
    }

    node 'lurtz.interno.regione.lazio.it' {
    include screen
    }

[...]

  • Jcbollinger at Apr 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm

[...]

    Yes, making different declarations in different node blocks is one way to
    approach the problem. I think it's the easiest to understand and use, so
    by all means proceed that way until such time as it becomes too
    constraining (if it ever does).

    Node blocks may appear directly in site.pp, or in one or more files
    'import'ed into site.pp. This is one of very few appropriate use cases for
    the 'import' function; avoid using 'import' for any other purpose. In
    particular, do not confuse it with the 'include' function.

    John