Hello All,

I've been looking for a simple way to clean up my nodes.pp file and I was
hoping to get some suggestions from you folks. At the moment, I keep all
my class definitions within nodes.pp. It currently looks something like
this:

### regex based workstation nodes ####
node /^sbx-[^\s]*$/ {
include gen-lucid-stages
class { sbx-lucid-base-security : stage => security }
class { sbx-lucid-workstation-base : stage => packages }
class { sbx-lucid-base-upgrade : stage => upgrade }
class { sbx-lucid-base-dist-upgrade : stage => dist-upgrade }
class { sbx-lucid-base-filesystem : stage => filesystem }
class { sbx-lucid-base-graphics : stage => graphics }
class { sbx-lucid-weta-config : stage => configs }
}

### Lucid Groupings ####
class sbx-lucid-base-security {
include sbx-lucid-common-puppet
include sbx-lucid-common-auth
include sbx-lucid-common-powerbroker
}
class sbx-lucid-workstation-base {
include sbx-lucid-workstation-default
}
class sbx-lucid-base-upgrade {
include sbx-lucid-common-upgrade
}
class sbx-lucid-base-dist-upgrade {
include sbx-lucid-common-dist-upgrade
}
class sbx-lucid-base-filesystem {
include sbx-lucid-common-autofs
include sbx-lucid-common-softlinks
}
class sbx-lucid-base-graphics {
include sbx-lucid-common-kubuntu-desktop
include sbx-lucid-common-weta-kde
include sbx-lucid-common-nvidia-driver-29553
}

This however seems a bit cluttered and I was hoping to move these classes
out of nodes.pp and into somewhere a bit more tidy. It's probably my
rudimentary understanding of puppet but are there any suggestions into how
I might achieve this?

Thanks in advance for the help on this one.

Cheers,

Mike

  • Joe at Mar 12, 2013 at 12:21 am
    You want roles and profiles:
    http://www.craigdunn.org/2012/05/239/
[...]

  • Mike Reed at Mar 12, 2013 at 9:08 pm
    Thanks very much Joe. I'll take a look and go from there.

    Much appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Mike