Here's the scenario:

I want to install python and use the pip provider to install python
packages, all in the same run.

So far, I've managed to:

1. Install python with msi installer
2. Add C:\Python27 and C:\Python27\Scripts to PATH environment variable
through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\Environment
3. Install setuptools with ez_setup.py
4. Install pip with easy_install

The problem comes in when I try to use pip to install a package because the
appended values to PATH environment variables are not propagated. The pip
provider cannot find pip on the system.

Did someone here found a clean solution to this.
(I started to do a hacky procedure with a custom fact executing
SendMessageTimeout. It didn't even work and I don't want to pursue with
this hazardous trail)

Thanks in advance!

Olivier Trempe

  • Rich Siegel at Mar 12, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    Have you tried changing your path via setx unattend?
    Programmatically changing it (a la the registry provider) won't take effect according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682653%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

    You might also try forcing a child shell through running a sub cmd /k or similar means and use PowerShell provider with exec.

    I will test with my chocolatey provider to see if it works with separate packages with dependencies on puppet. Chocolatey itself has the same path refresh problems.