We're planning a rollout of Puppet 3 on our network. We've been entirely
RH5 & RH6 for a while, but we are planning on folding in Solaris hosts and
possibly AIX as well.

The Redhat hosts are running ruby 1.8.7 and the Solaris & AIX hosts have
ruby 1.9.3p125

My question is, will the differing (but officially supported) ruby versions
cause any problems with puppet even though all platforms will be running
the same version of Puppet?

Bill

  • Nick Fagerlund at Feb 20, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    I've never tried this, but it SHOULD be okay. Puppet is reasonably
    standoffish about its interfaces, with everything going as yaml or json
    over HTTP, and part of the goal of that was to eventually do exactly this.
    We expect this setup to work, and if it doesn't it's a bug.

    (That's also part of why it uses relatively slow json and yaml instead of
    fast Marshall, is because Marshall had a bad habit of being incompatible
    between Ruby versions.)