I need puppet agent daemon running because I need to access agent's REST
API (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html#the-agent-rest-api).
But I don't need the agent to run periodic checks. Is there any way to
either access REST API without daemonizing agent (I suspect this id not
possible) or disable periodic runs while running agent as a daemon?

  • Vaidas Jablonskis at Feb 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm
    You would have to run your agent daemon wiht '--no-client' parameter. See
    'man puppet.conf'.
    I need puppet agent daemon running because I need to access agent's REST
    API (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html#the-agent-rest-api).
    But I don't need the agent to run periodic checks. Is there any way to
    either access REST API without daemonizing agent (I suspect this id not
    possible) or disable periodic runs while running agent as a daemon?
  • Andriy Yurchuk at Feb 14, 2013 at 10:21 am
    This works, but this disables the ability to push configs via MCollective,
    i.e. mco puppet runall/runonce do not work.
    You would have to run your agent daemon wiht '--no-client' parameter. See
    'man puppet.conf'.
    I need puppet agent daemon running because I need to access agent's REST
    API (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html#the-agent-rest-api).
    But I don't need the agent to run periodic checks. Is there any way to
    either access REST API without daemonizing agent (I suspect this id not
    possible) or disable periodic runs while running agent as a daemon?
  • Felix Frank at Feb 15, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    Hi,

    have you made sure you pass the --listen option alongside --no-client?
    This works, but this disables the ability to push configs via
    MCollective, i.e. mco puppet runall/runonce do not work.

    You would have to run your agent daemon wiht '--no-client'
    parameter. See 'man puppet.conf'.

    I need puppet agent daemon running because I need to access
    agent's REST API
    (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html#the-agent-rest-api
    <http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html#the-agent-rest-api>).
    But I don't need the agent to run periodic checks. Is there any
    way to either access REST API without daemonizing agent (I
    suspect this id not possible) or disable periodic runs while
    running agent as a daemon?
  • Andriy Yurchuk at Feb 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    Yes, I had --no-client and listen = true in puppet.conf. With these
    settings the agent does not respond to MCollective calls.
    have you made sure you pass the --listen option alongside --no-client?
    This works, but this disables the ability to push configs via
    MCollective, i.e. mco puppet runall/runonce do not work.

    You would have to run your agent daemon wiht '--no-client'
    parameter. See 'man puppet.conf'.

    I need puppet agent daemon running because I need to access
    agent's REST API
    (
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html#the-agent-rest-api
    <
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/rest_api.html#the-agent-rest-api>).
    But I don't need the agent to run periodic checks. Is there any
    way to either access REST API without daemonizing agent (I
    suspect this id not possible) or disable periodic runs while
    running agent as a daemon?
  • Andriy Yurchuk at Feb 15, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    There is a ignoreschedules option for puppet agent
    (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/configuration.html#ignoreschedules),
    but it does not seem to work. Even if it is set to true the agent is being
    run every "runinterval" seconds.