Hi All!

I do manage some hosts with puppet and it's pretty great.
But among those hosts htere are some boxes that are sometimes taken away
from my network, used for demonstrations somewhere outside and return back.
And I want puppet to manage those hosts even when they are away and alone.
And of course I want them to fetch the latest catalogs on the moment they
appear in domestic network.

I even wrote an ugly script that does something like "puppet catalog
download" and then apply on every boot, but this is ugly, smells and
obviousless.
Had somebody invented something like that and how?

  • Paul Tötterman at Feb 12, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    Hi Ivan,

    Had somebody invented something like that and how?
    Doesn't puppet do that right now? If it's unable to fetch a new catalog
    from master it uses the cached catalog that it has received previously.

    Cheers,
    Paul

  • Ivan Lysov at Feb 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    Unfortunately no. It uses cached catalog only if puppet master returns
    error code. If it is completely unavaliable agent just does nothing.
    Logs contain something like

    2013-02-13T18:02:09.416421+04:00 distbuilder-b puppet-agent[1432]: Puppet
    --listen / kick is deprecated. See
    http://links.puppetlabs.com/puppet-kick-deprecation
    2013-02-13T18:02:09.703607+04:00 distbuilder-b puppet-agent[1432]: Starting
    Puppet client version 3.0.1
    2013-02-13T18:02:09.704367+04:00 distbuilder-b puppet-agent[1432]:
    Reopening log files
    2013-02-13T18:02:09.820540+04:00 distbuilder-b puppet-agent[1432]:
    Reopening log files
    2013-02-13T18:02:09.861180+04:00 distbuilder-b puppet-agent[1432]: Failed
    to apply catalog: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known
    2013-02-13T18:02:09.879258+04:00 distbuilder-b puppet-agent[1432]: Could
    not send report: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known
    <<<

    вторник, 12 февраля 2013 г., 19:23:00 UTC+4 пользователь Paul Tötterman
    Had somebody invented something like that and how?
    Doesn't puppet do that right now? If it's unable to fetch a new catalog
    from master it uses the cached catalog that it has received previously.

    Cheers,
    Paul
  • Matthew Black at Feb 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    Without fully understanding your modules and how they interact you can
    always take a copy of the site manifest and modules with the node and
    then do something like this

    puppet apply /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp --modulepath=/etc/puppet/modules

    I typically do something similar when testing a module without a puppet master.
    I do manage some hosts with puppet and it's pretty great.
    But among those hosts htere are some boxes that are sometimes taken away
    from my network, used for demonstrations somewhere outside and return back.
    And I want puppet to manage those hosts even when they are away and alone.
    And of course I want them to fetch the latest catalogs on the moment they
    appear in domestic network.

    I even wrote an ugly script that does something like "puppet catalog
    download" and then apply on every boot, but this is ugly, smells and
    obviousless.
    Had somebody invented something like that and how?

  • Jakov Sosic at Feb 15, 2013 at 12:01 am

    Without fully understanding your modules and how they interact you can
    always take a copy of the site manifest and modules with the node and
    then do something like this

    puppet apply /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp --modulepath=/etc/puppet/modules

    I typically do something similar when testing a module without a puppet master.
    Can hiera be integrated somehow in this case?

    --
    Jakov Sosic
    www.srce.unizg.hr

  • Brian Lalor at Feb 15, 2013 at 12:12 am

    Sure. Here's an example of invoking "puppet apply" with explicit Hiera configuration: https://github.com/blalor/vagrant-puppet-example