However, we are looking to move to Git, and I am wondering how other people have tackled this?

I'd like to maintain the independent versioning of the modules, so individual git repos for each module seems the right way to go? It feels a little overweight, but am I over thinking it? We are running gitlab, so it's easy for us to spin up new repos.

I've also been looking for some examples of how people have implemented continuous integration and deployment of their puppet manifests from git.

  • Steven Nemetz at Feb 11, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    We have seperate repos in git for every puppet module. Each module has a Jenkins job to auto test it and if it passes updates the super repo (Main repo with all the module repos in use as submodules). This allows all management of each module (rights, testing, etc) to be independent of all others.
    So far, it has worked well.
    Steven
    From: opsmason@gmail.com
    Subject: [Puppet Users] Managing puppeteer modules with git
    Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:53:34 -0500
    To: puppet-users@googlegroups.com

    How do other people organize their puppet configs in Git?

    Right now we are using SVN, with about 100 modules and 4 environments. Each module and environment has their own trunk/tag trees, which makes it easy for each product team to manage their individual manifests. (We deploy by tag.)

    However, we are looking to move to Git, and I am wondering how other people have tackled this?

    I'd like to maintain the independent versioning of the modules, so individual git repos for each module seems the right way to go? It feels a little overweight, but am I over thinking it? We are running gitlab, so it's easy for us to spin up new repos.

    I've also been looking for some examples of how people have implemented continuous integration and deployment of their puppet manifests from git.

  • Félix Barbeira at Feb 12, 2013 at 7:50 am
    I´m thinking in create three different puppet environments: develop,
    testing and production.

    Each environment has its own dir
    "/etc/puppet/environments/$environment/modules/". You can manage the
    modules using the flag "--environment" with every command, for instance:

    # puppet module install user-ssh --environment develop

    This command install the module "user-ssh" in the dir specified before and
    you don´t touch the production code.

    About the git configuration I´m thinking create a repo in the develop
    module dir with three branches "develop, testing and production". Next step
    is clone the branch "testing" in the testing module repo and then cloning
    "master" branch in the production dir.

    What do you think?

    This page help me a
    lot: https://puppetlabs.com/blog/git-workflow-and-puppet-environments/