Hello All,

I am new to puppet and was trying to figure out whether puppet can handle
the requirement I had.

The requirement is to reinstall an OS (Windows, distributions of Linux) on
slave machines before a job is executed. This is needed as we need a clean
OS before executing the jobs on the nodes..

Is there a way using puppet that I plugin a machine to the puppet network,
I can install a OS of my choice on the node and then that node gets added
as a puppet node for further job execution?

-Manish

  • Joe at Feb 4, 2013 at 6:29 pm
    Puppet doesn't do OS provisioning itself. You'd need a separate system to
    do that part, then hand off to puppet after a minimal install has been
    completed.

    You can use a tool like Foreman (http://theforeman.org/). It will handle
    the provisioning of the systems and also integrates with puppet to assign
    classes and handle ssl certs.

    I am new to puppet and was trying to figure out whether puppet can handle
    the requirement I had.

    The requirement is to reinstall an OS (Windows, distributions of Linux) on
    slave machines before a job is executed. This is needed as we need a clean
    OS before executing the jobs on the nodes..

    Is there a way using puppet that I plugin a machine to the puppet network,
    I can install a OS of my choice on the node and then that node gets added
    as a puppet node for further job execution?

    -Manish

  • Joe at Feb 4, 2013 at 6:32 pm
    There is also razor
    (https://puppetlabs.com/solutions/next-generation-provisioning/). It is
    only for provisioning (not assigning classes) and is the future of
    provisioning and puppet.
[...]

  • Daniel Pittman at Feb 4, 2013 at 6:41 pm
    Razor is still pretty experimental, so I wouldn't recommend it unless
    you are comfortable with alpha software.

    It does integrate with provisioning, in the sense that it will hand
    off through a broker to Puppet (or Chef, or other tools), so it should
    have a smooth transition between provisioning and configuration.

    If you are interested there is a Razor mailing list,
    puppet-razor@googlegroups.com, where you would be welcome to join us.
    We would love more feedback on if, and how, Razor helps solve your
    problems - or how it falls short!
[...]

    ⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
    ♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons

  • Johan De Wit at Feb 5, 2013 at 6:54 am
    We did a presentation about razor on puppetcamp ghent last friday.
    (kind of an introduction and a small demo).

    https://puppetlabs.com/community/puppet-camp/#previous

    video will be online soon

    The video and slides will be available soon.

    Grt

    johan
[...]

    Johan De Wit

    Open Source Consultant
    Red Hat Certified Engineer (805008667232363)
    Puppet Certified Professional 2013 (PCP0000006)

    Open-Future Phone +32 (0)2/255 70 70
    Zavelstraat 72 Fax +32 (0)2/255 70 71
    3071 KORTENBERG Mobile +32 (0)474/42 40 73
    BELGIUM http://www.open-future.be