I have tricky problem and I hope that someone could help me.
I'm using puppetlabs-firewall module. My box doesn't have iptables
pre-installed. And because there is no /sbin/iptables puppet don't find
provider for firewall -type. I get error that no provider for firewall
found.

Does anyone have idea how to get around this? Even if I create stage which
is before "main"-stage and install the iptables there I get errors.

Thanks for help!

-Erno

  • Ellison Marks at Jan 31, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    Is it fine after the first run?
    I have tricky problem and I hope that someone could help me.
    I'm using puppetlabs-firewall module. My box doesn't have iptables
    pre-installed. And because there is no /sbin/iptables puppet don't find
    provider for firewall -type. I get error that no provider for firewall
    found.

    Does anyone have idea how to get around this? Even if I create stage which
    is before "main"-stage and install the iptables there I get errors.

    Thanks for help!

    -Erno
  • Chad Huneycutt at Jan 31, 2013 at 11:58 pm
    Install iptables before running puppet? There is some amount of setup
    you will have to do before puppet will run the first time. For
    instance, you have to install puppet and the iptables module!

    - Chad
    I have tricky problem and I hope that someone could help me.
    I'm using puppetlabs-firewall module. My box doesn't have iptables
    pre-installed. And because there is no /sbin/iptables puppet don't find
    provider for firewall -type. I get error that no provider for firewall
    found.

    Does anyone have idea how to get around this? Even if I create stage which
    is before "main"-stage and install the iptables there I get errors.

    Thanks for help!

    -Erno

    Chad M. Huneycutt

  • Nan Liu at Feb 1, 2013 at 1:38 am

    I have tricky problem and I hope that someone could help me.
    I'm using puppetlabs-firewall module. My box doesn't have iptables
    pre-installed. And because there is no /sbin/iptables puppet don't find
    provider for firewall -type. I get error that no provider for firewall
    found.

    Does anyone have idea how to get around this? Even if I create stage which
    is before "main"-stage and install the iptables there I get errors.
    The issue should be fixed somewhere in 2.7.x where you can install packages
    and have it satisfy provider requirements in a single puppet run. See:
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/6907.

    Nan

  • Erno Aapa at Feb 2, 2013 at 6:29 am
    Thank you! My vagrant box have 2.7.6 installed. Got to test with newer
    version.

    Chad: yes I know, but I hope that I don't need any pre-install step when I
    use Vagrant. Its easier if there is no multiple steps to get environment up
    and running. Thanks for help anyway!

    -Erno