Hello all,

We are in the process of moving our data center from one city to another
city (far away). This won't be a physical move -- we are simply bringing
up equivalent machines in the new location and then configuring them to
match. Great job for puppet, right?

My question is, other than manually going through a machine to find all
applications, versions, config files, services, etc., does anyone know of a
tool that does a good job of gathering that information. The idea would be
to build puppet modules based off of that.

I'd like to avoid:
rpm -qa >> installed packages.txt

There is definitely an opportunity to discuss each machine with a subject
matter expert, which will be a primary step, but I'd like to come to that
discussion with some information that we can filter through.

Many thanks,
Jason

  • Wolf Noble at Jan 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm

[...]

    Hi Jason,

    I've not used it (yet) but a tool I was researching for just this need today can be found here: https://github.com/devstructure/blueprint

    I suspect there are others on the list who have used this tool and could provide you with some feedback on it…

    This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message. See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you.

  • Jason Cochard at Jan 30, 2013 at 10:16 pm
    This tool looks great. Thank you Wolf.