I am running below command to connect puppet master

puppet agent --certname testcertname --no-daemonize --onetime --server
server_host_name --verbose

it outputs error like:

Error: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install dnsmasq' returned 1:
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os error was
14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org'"

Error: /Stage[main]/Virtualrouter_agent/Package[dnsmasq]/ensure: change
from absent to present failed: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y
install dnsmasq' returned 1: Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:
base
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os error was
14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org'"

to my surprise, echo $? returns 0 which indicates a success.

why doesn't puppet return 1? my script heavily depends on the return value
to judge if puppet runs successfully.
Is there any dependable way to get the real execution result of puppet
agent?

thank you.

  • Matthaus Owens at Jan 24, 2013 at 6:34 am
    You can pass the --detailed-exitcodes flag to puppet agent to get
    non-zero exit codes. Here's the description from the puppet-agent man
    page:

    --detailed-exitcodes
    Provide transaction information via exit codes. If this is enabled, an
    exit code of '2' means there were changes, an exit code of '4' means
    there were failures during the transaction, and an exit code of '6'
    means there were both changes and failures.

    HTH
    I am running below command to connect puppet master

    puppet agent --certname testcertname --no-daemonize --onetime --server
    server_host_name --verbose

    it outputs error like:

    Error: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install dnsmasq' returned 1:
    Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist
    http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os error was
    14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org'"

    Error: /Stage[main]/Virtualrouter_agent/Package[dnsmasq]/ensure: change from
    absent to present failed: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install
    dnsmasq' returned 1: Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist
    http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os error was
    14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org'"

    to my surprise, echo $? returns 0 which indicates a success.

    why doesn't puppet return 1? my script heavily depends on the return value
    to judge if puppet runs successfully.
    Is there any dependable way to get the real execution result of puppet
    agent?

    thank you.

    Matthaus Owens
    Release Manager, Puppet Labs