I thought that creates attribute of exec resource creates a file.

On windows, I have the following init.pp, jdk is correctly installed but myfile2.txt is not created, did I miss something ?

class install_java_win {

file {'jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe':
path=> "$c:/tmp/jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe",
ensure=> present,
mode=> 0777,
source => "puppet://${server}/modules/install_java_win/jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe",
}
exec {'java':
creates => "c:/tmp/myfile2.txt",
cwd => c:/tmp",
path => "c:/tmp;${::path}",
logoutput => true,
command => 'cmd /c jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe /s INSTALLDIR=c:\\tools\\jdk1.6.0_18 /INSTALLDIRJAVADB=c:\\tools\\jdk1.6.0_18 /INSTALLDIRPUBJRE=c:\\tools\\jdk1.6.0_18',
require => [ File['jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe'] ],

Cordialement,

Bernard Granier
CE Plateforme Système
bernard.granier@morpho.com
01 58 11 32 51

#
" This e-mail and any attached documents may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto or use of their contents by any means whatsoever is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete this e-mail and all attached documents from your computer system."
#

  • Pablo Wright at Jan 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm
    Hi Bernard!
    The creates attribute is a conditional for the exec run.
    From http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#exec :
    creates A file to look for before running the command. The command will
    only run if the file *doesn’t exist.*
    *
    *
    So it's actually looking for that file, and running the command you
    specified only if it can't find it. It's assumed that your command will
    create that file and the exec won't run more than once.

    Hope it's clearer now, regards!
    Pablo

    On windows, I have the following init.pp, jdk is correctly installed but
    myfile2.txt is not created, did I miss something ?****

    ** **

    ** **

    *class* install_java_win {****

    ****

    }****

    ****

[...]

  • Josh Cooper at Jan 24, 2013 at 6:04 pm
    Hi Bernard,
    On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM, GRANIER Bernard (MORPHO)
    path=> "$c:/tmp/jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe",
    ensure=> present,
    mode=> 0777,
    source =>
    "puppet://${server}/modules/install_java_win/jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe",
    }

    exec {'java':
    creates => "c:/tmp/myfile2.txt",
    cwd => c:/tmp",
    path => "c:/tmp;${::path}",
    logoutput => true,
    command => 'cmd /c jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe /s
    INSTALLDIR=c:\\tools\\jdk1.6.0_18 /INSTALLDIRJAVADB=c:\\tools\\jdk1.6.0_18
    /INSTALLDIRPUBJRE=c:\\tools\\jdk1.6.0_18',
    require => [ File['jdk-6u18-windows-i586.exe'] ],
    You should checkout the executable package provider in Puppet 3. See
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/cKQ8DAV6nlI/q_hkK2w8MNIJ

    One gotcha to be aware of is that the name of the package in your
    manifest must match the name displayed in Add/Remove Programs, e.g.
    'Java(TM) 6 Update 18'

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

  • GRANIER Bernard (MORPHO) at Jan 25, 2013 at 8:17 am
    Ok, my english is not so good, I miss undesrstood the documentation :
    "creates
    A file that this command creates."

    I thought it was puppet which creates the file and not my command.

    Thanks for your help.

    Cordialement,

    Bernard Granier
    CE Plateforme Système