The question: how can I get extra debugging/troubleshooting information to figure out why my F5 resources aren't applying? I see my "puppet device" command claiming to have applied an f5_node and f5_rule, but the irule and node respectively do not appear in the device's config.

I have already turned up logging on the F5 device and debug/verbose in my puppet device run and found nothing obvious there.

(More details below.)

I see these:

Notice: /Stage[main]//Node[my_f5]/F5_node[192.168.127.1]/ensure: created
Notice: /Stage[main]//Node[my_f5]/F5_rule[cw1]/ensure: created

As part of this set of debug output, but:

[cwood@lb-lab:Active] log # grep cw1 /config/bigip.conf
[cwood@lb-lab:Active] log #

This is using puppet 3.0.2 on CentOS 6.3 x86_64.

My resources are as follows (one obviously from the module README):

   f5_rule { 'cw1':
     ensure => present,
     definition => 'when HTTP_REQUEST {}',
   }

   f5_node { '192.168.127.1':
     ensure => present,
   }

Here is more debug output:

Debug: Puppet::Device::F5: connecting to F5 device my_f5.
Debug: Puppet::Device::F5: connecting to partition Common.
Debug: Using cached certificate for ca
Debug: Using cached certificate for my_f5
Debug: Loaded state in 0.00 seconds
Debug: node supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml pson raw yaml; using pson
Debug: Using cached certificate for ca
Debug: Using cached certificate for my_f5
Debug: Using cached certificate_revocation_list for ca
Info: Retrieving plugin
Debug: file_metadata supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml pson raw yaml; using pson
Debug: Finishing transaction 70108264693680
Debug: catalog supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml dot pson raw yaml; using pson
Info: Caching catalog for my_f5
Debug: Creating default schedules
Debug: Loaded state in 0.00 seconds
Info: Applying configuration version '1358454564'
Debug: Stage[main]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Class[Main]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Class[Settings]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Class[Settings]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Node[my_f5]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Puppet::Provider::F5_Node: creating F5 node 192.168.127.1
Notice: /Stage[main]//Node[my_f5]/F5_node[192.168.127.1]/ensure: created
Debug: /Stage[main]//Node[my_f5]/F5_node[192.168.127.1]: The container Node[my_f5] will propagate my refresh event
Debug: Puppet::Provider::F5_Rule: creating cw1
Notice: /Stage[main]//Node[my_f5]/F5_rule[cw1]/ensure: created
Debug: /Stage[main]//Node[my_f5]/F5_rule[cw1]: The container Node[my_f5] will propagate my refresh event
Debug: Node[my_f5]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Node[my_f5]: The container Class[Main] will propagate my refresh event
Debug: /Filebucket[puppet]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Class[Main]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Class[Main]: The container Stage[main] will propagate my refresh event
Debug: Stage[main]: Skipping host resources because running on a device
Debug: Finishing transaction 70108265534620
Debug: Storing state
Debug: Stored state in 0.13 seconds
Notice: Finished catalog run in 0.97 seconds
Debug: Value of 'preferred_serialization_format' (pson) is invalid for report, using default (b64_zlib_yaml)
Debug: report supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml raw yaml; using b64_zlib_yaml

  • Nan Liu at Jan 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm

    The question: how can I get extra debugging/troubleshooting information to
    figure out why my F5 resources aren't applying? I see my "puppet device"
    command claiming to have applied an f5_node and f5_rule, but the irule and
    node respectively do not appear in the device's config.

    I have already turned up logging on the F5 device and debug/verbose in my
    puppet device run and found nothing obvious there.

    (More details below.)

    I see these:

    Notice: /Stage[main]//Node[my_f5]/F5_node[192.168.127.1]/ensure: created
    Notice: /Stage[main]//Node[my_f5]/F5_rule[cw1]/ensure: created

    As part of this set of debug output, but:

    [cwood@lb-lab:Active] log # grep cw1 /config/bigip.conf
    [cwood@lb-lab:Active] log #
    I'm not familiar with F5 tmsh, the puppet module is using iControl to
    update the device, so I don't know how changes are reflected in the text
    config.

    If you run puppet again does it attempt to make the same changes again? If
    not the changes should have taken effect. Can you login to the web console
    and review if the rules were added to the device?

    Thanks,

    Nan

  • Christopher Wood at Jan 17, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    (inline)
[...]

    Usually when I make a change via the gui or tmsh I see the change reflected in the text config right away.
    If you run puppet again does it attempt to make the same changes again?
    Yes, it does.
    If
    not the changes should have taken effect. Can you login to the web console
    and review if the rules were added to the device?
    The changes were not applied to the device. (There is only the common partition and four nodes on the lab F5, and I was trying to add the fifth node.)
    Thanks,
    Nan