I have a few questions on how the Dashboard and site.pp file work together
and would appreciate any help that could be given. First a little about my
setup. I am using the Learning Puppet VM provided by the Puppet Labs
website. I have copied it 3 times to create a configuration of 1 master
and 2 agents. The master and agents all show up in the Dashboard and I can
get responses from them using the Live Management tools on the Dashboard as
well as using the command line tools. I have created some basic modules
following various examples in books and the Puppet website. Now for the
questions:

1. Currently modules I have created and assigned to nodes using the site.pp
file are not shown on the Dashboard. Is this normal or should the
Dashboard be picking them up?
2. Modules I assign to nodes though the Dashboard do not show up in the
site.pp file. Is this normal? Where does the Dashboard save assigned
modules, if not in the site.pp file?
3. Which system takes precedence? Does the site.pp file override what is
on the Dashboard? Does the Dashboard override the site.pp file? Do they
work in conjunction or does only the Dashboard apply when Puppet is run
through the Dashboard and the site.pp apply then Puppet is run thought the
command line.

Any help in understanding this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Art

  • Jo Rhett at Jan 11, 2013 at 6:09 pm
    Really quick answer: there's no interaction between Dashboard and Site.pp that I'm aware of. Think of the Dashboard as a place to visually display puppet reports.

    This is functionality where you can define things in the Dashboard and use that as an ENC in your puppet manifests. So Site.pp could learn from Dashboard, but there's no way for Site.pp to inform the Dashboard. If you really want it to show up there, then you need to define it all in the Dashboard and then reconfigure Puppet to use the Dashboard as an ENC.

    Google: "puppet dashboard ENC"

    Post-Note: keep in mind that PuppetLabs has deprecated the Dashboard and won't be doing any future development, so this may not be a good investment of your time.
[...]

  • Joshua Sinfield at Jan 11, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    Hi Jo,

    Can you confirm where it's stated the Puppet Dashboard is deprecated? I've
    just recently been installing it at work, and have not seen this anywhere
    on the PuppetLabs websites?

    Thanks,
    Josh
[...]

    For more options, visit this group at

    Jo Rhett
    Net Consonance : net philanthropy to improve open source and internet
    projects.

  • Art at Jan 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    Thank you for the answers. I have few follow up questions. If the
    Dashboard is being deprecated what is the Puppet Enterprise Console? Are
    these not the same? Am I misusing terminology? If the Puppet Enterprise
    Console have a different interaction with the site.pp file?

[...]

  • Dawn Foster at Jan 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm