in the docs at
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/file_serving.html#serving-files-from-custom-mount-points
there's an example on how to serve private files via

    [private]
      path /data/private/%h
      allow *

However, my private files are identical for classes for webservers, i.e.
SSL private keys for webservers. All these webservers have hostnames
webXX, where XX are some numbers.

Is there a way to tell the puppet fileserver config to send all hosts
matching a certain hostname pattern to the same directory?

Thanks for your insight!
Andreas.

  • Jakov Sosic at Jun 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm

    there's an example on how to serve private files via

    [private]
    path /data/private/%h
    allow *

    However, my private files are identical for classes for webservers, i.e.
    SSL private keys for webservers. All these webservers have hostnames
    webXX, where XX are some numbers.

    Is there a way to tell the puppet fileserver config to send all hosts
    matching a certain hostname pattern to the same directory?
    I'm interested in this one too! I find my self copying over same files
    in private for multiple hosts, so some kind of higher level of 'private'
    would be nice.

    --
    Jakov Sosic
    www.srce.unizg.hr

  • Vlad at Jun 29, 2013 at 2:53 pm
    I'm also interested in this. For the moment i use a set of top scope
    variables and weird combinations between them to get some sort of hierarchy
    for files:

    *fileserver.conf:*
    [vgh_private]
    path /data/puppet/groups
    allow *

    *site.pp:*
    $files_source = "puppet:///vgh_private/${::group}/files"
    $files_sources = [
    "${::files_source}/${::fqdn}/",
    "${::files_source}/${::domain}/",
    "${::files_source}/${::role}/",
    "${::files_source}/common/",
    'puppet:///modules/'
    ]

    *params.pp:*
    $source = suffix(pick($::files_sources, ['puppet:///modules/']),
    $module_name)

    *config.pp:*
    file {'NginX ConfD':
    path => $nginx::params::conf_d,
    source => suffix($nginx::params::source, '/conf.d'),
    }

    At some point in the past I also had a custom function:
    https://gist.github.com/vladgh/5891389

    All this adds extra complexity, and I am interested in an easier way (maybe
    support for variables other than host, domain and fqdn in the fileserver
    config).

    Vlad.