Afternoon all

We are starting to look at using Puppet Network device support in anger,
and one of the potential issues that has been raised is around cross-site
access...

Currently, we have one Puppet master server, which is hosted in location C.
This server is able to access and manage the appropriate network devices in
location C.

However there are other devices in locations A and B which we want to be
able to manage through Puppet. However some potential concerns have been
raised around allowing the puppet master server blanket access to locations
A & B...

Is it possible therefore to run the network devices in effectively a
'proxy' mode. That is, we create/nominate a suitable node in locations A
and B which would be able to manage network devices in their respective
locations, and these nodes then talk back to the Puppet master.

Does this sound sensible?

Any other considerations/ideas as to how the above can achieve?

Cheers in advance for any responses.

Regards
Gavin

  • Peter Brown at Dec 21, 2012 at 1:07 am

[...]

    I have no idea how you are achieving the network device configuration but a
    setting up a VPN between the master and locations b and c seems like the
    best way to do it.
    That would give you centralised management and security as well.
    I would suggest using some kind of ssl wrapped vpn like openvpn or ipsec or
    something like that.

    I did find this module on puppet forge for managing openvpn
    https://forge.puppetlabs.com/luxflux/openvpn

    Hope that helps.

    Pete.

    Cheers in advance for any responses.

    Regards
    Gavin

  • Fatmcgav at Dec 21, 2012 at 8:57 am
    Peter

    Cheers for the response.

    Network device management is being achieved using Puppet's new 'Network
    Device' support as part of 3.0...

    Site to site connectivity isn't an issue, as we've got a 100Mbps MPLS link
    between all 3... However it was more about security and the practicality of
    allowing the Puppet master effectively unlimited access to all sites...

    Cheers
    Gavin

[...]

  • Jason Edgecombe at Dec 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm
    What about running a satellite puppet master at each site?
[...]

  • Gavin Williams at Dec 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm
    That sounds ideal... Might make sense with general node performance etc
    aswell...

    Any examples on how to do that?

    Cheers
    Gavin

    On 21 December 2012 01:07, Peter Brown <rendh...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
[...]

    For more options, visit this group at
  • Jason Edgecombe at Dec 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm
    Here is a document for running multiple puppet masters:
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/scaling_multiple_masters.html

    Have you confirmed that the network device management only runs from the
    puppet master? As I understand most of the puppet
    actions are performed by the puppet agent, which runs on all machines,
    including the pupper master. The puppet master compiles manifests,
    handles certificates, serves files and receives reports. The rest
    usually happens on the agent side.

    Jason
[...]

  • Gavin Williams at Dec 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm
    Jason

    Cheers for that link.

    The '*puppet device*' command certainly exists on all puppet nodes.
    What I'm not sure of is whether there is anything else that it needs to
    function?

    Otherwise, it would be just as easy to nominate a node within each location
    that has got puppet installed, and use them as the network device
    management nodes...
    One thing I can think of is what happens to the 'network device'
    configuration if that node fails... Could I re-create everything on another
    node? Think the SSL certs are stored locally on the node, etc...

    Cheers
    Gavin
[...]

  • Jason Edgecombe at Dec 21, 2012 at 5:27 pm
    You're welcome.

    I'm still a puppet n00b, so I don't have an answer to your all of your
    questions. I'm using my experience with other tools and patterns to give
    guidance. It's on my to-do list to migrate from cfengine to puppet.

    I recognize the pattern that you want. You have a role or task that must
    be done, and it doesn't matter who does it, but it should only done by
    one node at a time. I have similar needs and I take the easy way out by
    assigning a static host to do this. I've read about others who use
    Apache's zookeeper or the noah tool as a global lock to ensure that the
    task is done by one and only one worker. I plan to look into this once I
    have more puppet infrastructure in place.

    Sincerely,
    Jason