I have installed puppet enterprise 2.7 on a virtual machine with
cent-OS 6.2(64 bit) as base. I have installed one puppetserver with console
and master role and nine puppet clients with agent role. I did the
certificate signing work. I have tried cloning user and group resource
types and that is working fine and both the user and group can be cloned
onto other puppet nodes. But cloning the package in unsuccessful. I have
followed the following steps for cloning the package,
-> install a package on three nodes by the command [yum install screen].
The installation is successful.
-> check the resources using console by selecting all the nodes and then
doing [manage resources -> package -> get resources ]. I got the result
showing screen package is installed on three clients.
-> For cloning, i did [clone resource -> preview -> clone]. I got the
"Performing cloning operation" message. I have checked the background
process on the clients and it shows the process "/usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install screen" is starting after clicking the
clone button.
-> the size of the package is 494k
I've tried the above steps a couple of times but the package doesn't
get installed. Moreover when i tried to install the package on another
client by typing the same command on the terminal, i.e. "/usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install screen" , the package gets installed
within a couple of seconds.

Any pointers or help are welcome.

Thanks,
DAVER

  • Joshua Lifton at Dec 26, 2012 at 7:28 pm
    Hi DAVER,

    Since Live Management and its cloning feature This question should probably
    be posted to the pe-users@puppetlabs.com, to which I think you're already
    subscribed. I'll respond separately on that list.

    Cheers,
    JHL