Guys

Compliments of the festive season to everyone.

Ive looked at mcollective plugins from
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki

And I tried / installed some of them. What im looking for is a method or
really a mcollective plugin to 'aptitude safe-upgrade' on my test VMs.
Would anyone have a solution or method on how I can go about this.

The only other solution I can think of, is to use capistrano (which is
the reason for this email, as im not entirely satisfied with that
solution) and then have puppet manage my public key.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

  • R.I.Pienaar at Dec 14, 2012 at 9:24 am

    Compliments of the festive season to everyone.

    Ive looked at mcollective plugins from
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki

    And I tried / installed some of them. What im looking for is a method or
    really a mcollective plugin to 'aptitude safe-upgrade' on my test
    VMs. Would anyone have a solution or method on how I can go about this.

    The only other solution I can think of, is to use capistrano (which
    is the reason for this email, as im not entirely satisfied with that
    solution) and then have puppet manage my public key.
    generally it's not recommended - dist updates might update ruby or
    mcollective and restart it mid-way which would do bad things to your
    update.

    But as this is your test VMs it's probably not the end of the world.

    So the point of mcollective is that you can just write a small agent
    that contains the functionality you need and put it on your machines
    then you'll be able to do it. The fact that the action you need isnt
    available in any existing plugins isnt a problem.