I've installed the augeas rpm (0.10.0-3.fc17.x86_64) to troubleshoot a
problem I was having with augeas and ensuring a line existed in
/etc/cron.allow. I think something's up because neither the augeas within
my manifest nor the augtool are accomplishing much of anything:

# augtool print /files/etc/hosts/
# augtool ls /files/etc/hosts/
#

Even in interactive mode, I get nothing out of augtool! What should I look
at to see why this is failing? Syslog doesn't show anything illustrative,
nor did puppet agent -t --debug.

  • Raphink at Dec 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm

    I've installed the augeas rpm (0.10.0-3.fc17.x86_64) to troubleshoot a
    problem I was having with augeas and ensuring a line existed in
    /etc/cron.allow. I think something's up because neither the augeas within
    my manifest nor the augtool are accomplishing much of anything:

    # augtool print /files/etc/hosts/
    # augtool ls /files/etc/hosts/
    #

    Even in interactive mode, I get nothing out of augtool! What should I look
    at to see why this is failing? Syslog doesn't show anything illustrative,
    nor did puppet agent -t --debug.
    Hi Bret,

    Check if there is a parse error in /augeas//error with

    print /augeas//error

    Cheers,

    Raphaël

  • Dominic Cleal at Dec 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

    Even in interactive mode, I get nothing out of augtool! What should I
    look at to see why this is failing? Syslog doesn't show anything
    illustrative, nor did puppet agent -t --debug.
    The lack of errors from the augeas resource type should be much improved
    now if you're able to use Puppet 3.

    I've added debug if there are parsing errors (which will print output
    equivalent to Raphaël's augtool suggestion) and warnings if you're using
    context/incl parameters and it finds an error on a file you're trying to
    modify.

    --
    Dominic Cleal
    Red Hat Engineering

  • Bret Wortman at Dec 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm

    Even in interactive mode, I get nothing out of augtool! What should I
    look at to see why this is failing? Syslog doesn't show anything
    illustrative, nor did puppet agent -t --debug.
    The lack of errors from the augeas resource type should be much improved
    now if you're able to use Puppet 3.
    I am using Puppet 3 -- 3.0.1-1, to be precise. In response to Raphael's
    suggestion, I'm able to find some errors and can work through those.

    Where should these be printing to from Puppet?

    I've added debug if there are parsing errors (which will print output
    equivalent to Rapha�l's augtool suggestion) and warnings if you're using
    context/incl parameters and it finds an error on a file you're trying to
    modify.

    --
    Dominic Cleal
    Red Hat Engineering
  • Bret Wortman at Dec 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm

    Even in interactive mode, I get nothing out of augtool! What should I
    look at to see why this is failing? Syslog doesn't show anything
    illustrative, nor did puppet agent -t --debug.
    The lack of errors from the augeas resource type should be much improved
    now if you're able to use Puppet 3.
    I am using Puppet 3 -- 3.0.1-1, to be precise. In response to Raphael's
    suggestion, I'm able to find some errors and can work through those.
    I spoke too soon. The specific file I'm trying to work with is
    /etc/cron.allow. When I try to parse it:

    augtool> ls /files/etc/cron.allow
    augtool> print /augeas//error
    /augesa/files/etc/hosts/error = "parse_failed"
    /augeas/files/etc/hosts/error/pos = "18473"
    /augeas/files/etc/hosts/error/line = "273"
    /augeas/files/etc/hosts/error/char = "0"
    /augeas/files/etc/hsots/error/lens =
    "/usr/share/augeas/lenses/dist/hosts.aug:23.12-.42:"
    /augeas/files/etc/hsots/error/message = "Iterated lens matched less than it
    should"

    It doesn't look like the error is getting updated, or am I misunderstanding
    something?

    Where should these be printing to from Puppet?

    I've added debug if there are parsing errors (which will print output
    equivalent to Rapha�l's augtool suggestion) and warnings if you're
    using
    context/incl parameters and it finds an error on a file you're trying to
    modify.

    --
    Dominic Cleal
    Red Hat Engineering
  • Dominic Cleal at Dec 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm

    Even in interactive mode, I get nothing out of augtool! What should I
    look at to see why this is failing? Syslog doesn't show anything
    illustrative, nor did puppet agent -t --debug.
    The lack of errors from the augeas resource type should be much
    improved
    now if you're able to use Puppet 3.

    I am using Puppet 3 -- 3.0.1-1, to be precise. In response to
    Raphael's suggestion, I'm able to find some errors and can work
    through those.

    I spoke too soon. The specific file I'm trying to work with is
    /etc/cron.allow. When I try to parse it:
    Ah ok, cron.allow doesn't have a lens in Augeas 0.10.0, it's something
    that's only been added recently. This is why it won't even show up as a
    parse error.

    What you could try is taking the lens from git:
    http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/augeas.git/tree/lenses/simplelines.aug

    Either store it in /usr/share/augeas/lenses/, or add it to a module at
    <modulename>/lib/augeas/lenses/ and it will pluginsync to the client[1].
    If you put it in the former directory, you should be able to do an "ls"
    from augtool.
    augtool> ls /files/etc/cron.allow
    augtool> print /augeas//error
    /augesa/files/etc/hosts/error = "parse_failed"
    /augeas/files/etc/hosts/error/pos = "18473"
    /augeas/files/etc/hosts/error/line = "273"
    /augeas/files/etc/hosts/error/char = "0"
    /augeas/files/etc/hsots/error/lens =
    "/usr/share/augeas/lenses/dist/hosts.aug:23.12-.42:"
    /augeas/files/etc/hsots/error/message = "Iterated lens matched less than
    it should"

    It doesn't look like the error is getting updated, or am I
    misunderstanding something?
    When you run augtool, it parses all the files (in their default
    locations) that it knows about. So that's just reporting it has a parse
    error with your /etc/hosts file on line 273 (!!), which is going to be
    unrelated to cron.allow. As above, because 0.10.0 doesn't have support
    for cron.allow, nothing appears when you do an "ls" for that file.
    Where should these be printing to from Puppet?
    It would be printing in the debug logs, but it would probably only print
    the /etc/hosts error since that's the only one that occurred.

    [1]http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/plugins_in_modules.html#details

    --
    Dominic Cleal
    Red Hat Engineering