I currently have a child class of a parent one. The parent defines
some variable that I need to use in the child class. I am also using
gepetto. Gepetto is complaining about the syntax of the child variable.
It is saying that "$parentVar" should be "$::parentVar" however, when
changing to what Gepetto wants to use this breaks my classes. Does anyone
know the proper method of doing this? Currently the "$parentVar" method
below works fine, its just causing an error with Gepetto.

class test::parent {
$parentVar = "abc"
include test::child
}

class test::child {
notify { "The variable is: $parentVar":}

solely for the addressee. If you received this email in error, please do
not disclose the contents to anyone; kindly notify the sender by return
email and delete this email and any attachments from your system.

© 2011 Currensee Inc. is a member of the National Futures Association (NFA)
Member ID 0403251 | Over the counter retail foreign currency (Forex)
trading may involve significant risk of loss. It is not suitable for all
investors and you should make sure you understand the risks involved before
trading and seek independent advice if necessary. Performance, strategies
and charts shown are not necessarily predictive of any particular result
and past performance is no indication of future results. Investor returns
may vary from Trade Leader returns based on slippage, fees, broker spreads,
volatility or other market conditions.

Currensee Inc | 54 Canal St 4th Floor | Boston, MA 02114 | +1.617.624.3824

  • Gary Larizza at Dec 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm
    Hi there,

    This is an example of dynamic scoping, and there is a good help document
    here --> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/scope_and_puppet.html That page
    should describe what you're seeing and how to clarify it.

    ______________________________**_______________________
[...]

    Professional Services Engineer
    Puppet Labs

  • Phundisk at Dec 7, 2012 at 10:18 pm
    Understandable, thank you for that clarification. The issue I am facing
    comes when I am using a define and I need to call that custom variable set
    in another class that calls the define. Please see the example below.
    Though this works as I want it to below, I am getting a syntax error. If
    I chang the variable in class test to "$test::define::defVar", breaks what
    I want it to do. Am I breaking some style guidelines in doing what I want
    to do? Is there another way I can call this defined variable without
    producing a syntax error?

    class test {
    notify {"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The variable inside test main class is
    $defVar":}
    }

    define test::define($defVar='defVar'){
    include test
    notify {"the variable in define define is: $defVar":}
    }

    class test::stuff::test1{
    test::define {'test1': defVar => 'NEWDEFVAR'}
    }

    On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM, phundisk <alex.f...@currensee.com<javascript:>
    I currently have a child class of a parent one. The parent defines
    some variable that I need to use in the child class. I am also using
    gepetto. Gepetto is complaining about the syntax of the child variable.
    It is saying that "$parentVar" should be "$::parentVar" however, when
    changing to what Gepetto wants to use this breaks my classes. Does anyone
    know the proper method of doing this? Currently the "$parentVar" method
    below works fine, its just causing an error with Gepetto.

    class test::parent {
    $parentVar = "abc"
    include test::child
    }

    class test::child {
    notify { "The variable is: $parentVar":}
    }

    ______________________________**_______________________
    intended solely for the addressee. If you received this email in error,
    please do not disclose the contents to anyone; kindly notify the sender by
    return email and delete this email and any attachments from your system.

    © 2011 Currensee Inc. is a member of the National Futures Association
    (NFA) Member ID 0403251 | Over the counter retail foreign currency (Forex)
    trading may involve significant risk of loss. It is not suitable for all
    investors and you should make sure you understand the risks involved before
    trading and seek independent advice if necessary. Performance, strategies
    and charts shown are not necessarily predictive of any particular result
    and past performance is no indication of future results. Investor returns
    may vary from Trade Leader returns based on slippage, fees, broker spreads,
    volatility or other market conditions.

    Currensee Inc | 54 Canal St 4th Floor | Boston, MA 02114 |
    +1.617.624.3824

    For more options, visit this group at

[...]

  • Gary Larizza at Dec 7, 2012 at 10:24 pm

    Understandable, thank you for that clarification. The issue I am facing
    comes when I am using a define and I need to call that custom variable set
    in another class that calls the define. Please see the example below.
    Though this works as I want it to below, I am getting a syntax error. If
    I chang the variable in class test to "$test::define::defVar", breaks what
    I want it to do. Am I breaking some style guidelines in doing what I want
    to do? Is there another way I can call this defined variable without
    producing a syntax error?

    class test {
    notify {"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The variable inside test main class is
    $defVar":}
    }

    define test::define($defVar='defVar'){
    include test
    notify {"the variable in define define is: $defVar":}
    In this case, using $defVar inside test::define is completely fine because
    it's defined in the scope of this defined resource type ($defVar is in the
    parameter declaration section of the defined resource type, which makes it
    local, in scope, to this defined resource type). Even though the class
    class test::stuff::test1 is declaring a new resource of type test::define,
    it's passing a value ('NEWDEFVAR') which will get set INSIDE the scope of
    test::define as $defVar.

    I hope that made sense and helped you; it can become a complicated issue
    quickly :)

    }

    here --> http://docs.puppetlabs.**com/guides/scope_and_puppet.**html<http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/scope_and_puppet.html> That page should describe what you're seeing and how to clarify it.

[...]

    googlegroups.com.