Hello,

I would like to build a script, which notifies me, when a production host
notices, that there change on a host, based on the Puppet exit codes
without executing it.

This doesn't returns a code. According to several posts on the web it
should work. (I know that --test should also inherit --detailed-exitcode).
But it didn't work for me:
puppet agent --test --noop --detailed-exitcode

I'd like to avoid to build a bash wrapper around it if Puppet provides
already the function to dry-run and return an exit code, so I can build it
entirely in Ruby.

Would really appreciate it if somebody could help.

Best regards,
Felix

  • Andreas Ntaflos at Dec 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm

    I would like to build a script, which notifies me, when a production
    host notices, that there change on a host, based on the Puppet exit
    codes without executing it.
    Probably easier and more effective to examine
    /var/lib/puppet/state/last_run_summary.yaml. As obvious from the
    filename it contains information about the latest Puppet run in a simple
    YAML format.

    Andreas
  • R.I.Pienaar at Dec 4, 2012 at 7:41 pm

    I would like to build a script, which notifies me, when a
    production
    host notices, that there change on a host, based on the Puppet exit
    codes without executing it.
    Probably easier and more effective to examine
    /var/lib/puppet/state/last_run_summary.yaml. As obvious from the
    filename it contains information about the latest Puppet run in a
    simple
    YAML format.
    there's a check script that uses this file @ https://github.com/ripienaar/monitoring-scripts/blob/master/puppet/check_puppet.rb

    the file has a lot of strange behaviors, sometimes empty, sometimes full
    of values etcetc. the script above attempt to handle those well