Sorry, bit of a noob here at puppet -- I've been configuring puppet &
modules and I was installing a module and following the instructions -- and
they mention putting variables into the Console. I don't use any GUIs (nor
do I want to) for puppet, so I was under the impression everything was just
passed through classes, etc?

... Is "Console" another term for like the site.pp?

In my Console I have created the following classes, groups/parameters:
* Classes
- splunk
* Groups/parameters
- splunk (has the class splunk associated to it)
+ splunk_logging_server = splunk.mydomain.lan
+ splunk_forwarder_port = 8002
+ splunk_syslog_port = 8001
+ splunk_deploy = server
- forwarder (child group of splunk)
+ splunk_deploy = forwarder
- syslog (child group of splunk)
+ splunk_deploy = syslog
Now with this set up, I simply need to add a node to the main splunk *group* to
designate what server will be handling the role of the Splunk Server and
assign nodes to either the forwarder or syslog group depending on if I want
to configure the forwarder for the node or configure rsyslog to report data
to the defined Server.

--
Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School
Learning | Identity | Community

  • Gary Larizza at Dec 3, 2012 at 7:05 pm
    Hi Mike,

    The 'console' is the Puppet Enterprise Console, a GUI that comes with
    Puppet Enterprise. It was derivative of the Puppet Dashboard, which is
    also a GUI based on rails. Everything specified in the console can be
    specified in your site.pp, or in a class, or even looked up with something
    like Hiera[1]. You might want to see the blog post on separating data from
    code to see what we mean --> http://bit.ly/puppetdata That post walks
    through the evolution of specifying parameter data to Puppet. Hope that
    helps!

    [1] - http://bit.ly/hierablog

[...]

    sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions that arise as
    a result.

    Gary Larizza
    Professional Services Engineer
    Puppet Labs

  • Chris Handy at Dec 3, 2012 at 9:34 pm
    I love this post on the evolution.

    The one thing that is missing which im pretty sure I have seen somewhere is
    the ability to properly name your hiera variables with the proper package
    structure such that you dont even need to do a hiera lookup, they will just
    get auto injected. Can someone point me to some docs on how to do that?
[...]

  • Gary Larizza at Dec 3, 2012 at 9:45 pm
    Yep,

    This is in Puppet as of version 3.0.0 See
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/release_notes.html#automatic-data-bindings-for-class-parameters
    which will refer you to this section -->
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/lang_classes.html#include-like-vs-resource-like
    Hope that helps you out!

[...]

    ------------------------------
    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    This email and any attachments may contain information that is
    privileged or confidential. If you are the intended recipient, please
    read and then delete this email and any attachments. If you are not the
    intended recipient, please delete the email and any attachments and
    notify the sender immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you
    may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this email. Internet
    communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or
    virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or
    omissions that arise as a result.
    For more options, visit this group at