Morning all

I've had a quick google, but couldn't find anything useful for our
scenario...

Basically, we use Nagios & NRPE in our environment, along with a hand-full
of in-house written plugins specific to our applications etc...
These scripts change on a fairly regular basis, so hand rolling a RPM each
time is too much work as far as i'm concerned...

So I can easily get NRPE installed on a node using Puppet... However what
I'm struggling with is getting all the plugins synced over aswell...

One suggestion I read was to use a file resource, however I've also read
about severe performance issues when working with tens of files...
I dont really want to have to create some kind of NFS file share to
distribute the files...

So, any other ideas?

Cheers
Gavin

P.S. Env consists of a single 3.0 Puppet Master, currently with about a
dozen nodes connected, but this will rapidly increase once we start full
roll-out...

  • Nikola Petrov at Dec 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    Well you can tell puppet to source a whole directory and put it
    somewhere for you. Here is an example from our nagios application
    specific manifest

    <snip>
    class app {
    #install the app package
    include app::install
    include base
    #generic nagios checks like memory, load, etc
    include nagios::target

    #application specific checks
    file {'/usr/local/nagios':
    ensure => 'directory',
    }

    file {'/usr/local/nagios/libexec/':
    ensure => 'directory',
    recurse => 'true', #enable recursive directory management
    purge => 'true', #purge all unmanaged junk
    force => 'true', #also purge subdirs and links etc.
    owner => 'nagios',
    group => 'nagios',
    mode => '0544',
    source => 'puppet:///modules/app/nagios',
    }

    Class['app::params'] -> Class['app']
    }
    </snip>

    Pay attention to the file resources. You can now put
    your nagios checks in *modelpath/files/nagios/*. Change the path as
    /usr/local/nagios/libexec is used here for historical reasons

    Hope that helps.

    Best, Nikola

[...]

  • Peter Brown at Dec 3, 2012 at 11:56 pm
    Hi Gavin,

    I have a module i wrote that seems like it will do what you need.
    I also have a nagios module that uses it to setup nrpe services on each
    node and exports nagios checks to be imported into a nagios instance.

    I basically setup nrpe on each node to use a config directory and have a
    define that uses templates to generate each nrpe service that need to be
    setup.
    My nagios module needs some rewriting before I will be happy releasing it.
    The nrpe module is pretty much good to go though.
    It can also use sudo, also managed by another module I have (Yeah I have a
    lot olf modules and most of them talk to other modules I wrote)

    I am going start putting my stuff on github and puppet forge as soon as I
    have them ready.

    Are you interested in being a guinea pig?

    :)

    Pete.

[...]

  • Fatmcgav at Dec 4, 2012 at 7:05 am
    Pete

    Sounds good to me... N be easier than me re-inventing the wheel...

    Would be happy to guinea pig... :)

    Cheers
    Gav

[...]

    For more options, visit this group at
  • Peter Brown at Dec 4, 2012 at 11:26 pm

    Sounds good to me... N be easier than me re-inventing the wheel...

    Would be happy to guinea pig... :)

    Awesome.
    I have an account on gitorious which I am going to use to put my code on.
    Gimme a bit to get my module cleaned up and make sure it works by itself.
    Will let you know when it's up there.

    Pete.

    Cheers
    Gav

[...]

  • Peter Brown at Dec 5, 2012 at 3:30 am
    Hi Gav,

    I just put my nrpe module up on gitorious.

    https://gitorious.org/rendhalver-puppet/nrpe

    I had to pull out my nrpe::firewall class for now because it uses my
    firewall module which I will be releasing at some point as well.
    I tagged the stable release as v1.0 so if you are going to clone it check
    out that tag if you prefer.
    The docs are non-existent as yet but the code is pretty self explanatory.

    it sets up nrpe on a node and you use the nrpe::plugin define to add new
    services.
    I use nrpe::params to set my variables so you need something in your node
    like this to set those.
    You can of course use hiera if you prefer.

    include nrpe
    class {'nrpe::params':
    nagios_extra_plugins => '/srv/scripts/nagios',
    nagios_ips => '192.168.0.1',
    }

    You can also set the port, user and group nrpe runs as as well as a few
    other vars.

    the nrpe::plugin works something like this.

    class monitoring::service::disk ( $ensure = $nagios_ensure, $host_name =
    $nagios_host_name, $service_type = 'standard_service', $notifications =
    $nagios_notifications ) {

    @@nagios_service { "${host_name}_disk":
    ensure => $ensure,
    use => $service_type,
    host_name => $host_name,
    service_description => 'DISK',
    servicegroups => $nagios_host_type ? { 'nonotify_server' =>
    'system', default => 'system,important_email' },
    check_command => 'check_nrpe!check_disk',
    contact_groups => $nagios_sms_alerts ? { false =>
    'admins,linux_admins', true => 'admins,linux_admins,linux_admin_sms' },
    notifications_enabled => $notifications ? { default => undef, false =>
    0 },
    register => 1,
    notify => Service[nagios],
    tag => "nagios_${monitoring_server}",
    }
    nrpe::plugin { 'disk':
    ensure => $ensure,
    plugin => 'main',
    sudo => true, # you will need an sudo rule for that.
    check_command => 'check_disk -w 20% -c 10% --all',
    notify => Class['nrpe::service'],

    That is how I use that define in my monitoring class which will get
    released as well once I split out the nagios code into it's own module.

    if you find any bugs please let me know and I shall fix them as soon as I
    can.

    I will be putting it on puppet forge as well once I work out how that works.

    Hope that helps.

    If anyone else is keen to try it out let me know how it goes.

[...]

  • Peter Brown at Dec 5, 2012 at 4:52 am
    Hi again,

    It seems github is a better option as they have an issue tracker.

    https://github.com/rendhalver/puppet-nrpe

[...]

  • Gavin Williams at Dec 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm
    Pete

    Cheers for that...

    Will have a read through the code and give it a spin :)

    Cheers
    Gavin

    On 3 December 2012 23:56, Peter Brown <rendh...@gmail.com <javascript:>

    On 3 December 2012 21:47, Gavin Williams <fatm...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Peter Brown at Dec 6, 2012 at 2:32 am
    Cool.

    Let me know how it goes.
    I am making a start at splitting out my code for nagios into a module by
    itself and setting up one for icinga as well.

    Will likely post to the list when it's ready for consumption.

    Pete.

    Will have a read through the code and give it a spin :)

    Cheers
    Gavin
    It seems github is a better option as they have an issue tracker.

    https://github.com/rendhalver/**puppet-nrpe<https://github.com/rendhalver/puppet-nrpe>

    I just put my nrpe module up on gitorious.

    https://gitorious.org/**rendhalver-puppet/nrpe<https://gitorious.org/rendhalver-puppet/nrpe>

[...]

    },
[...]

    googlegroups.com.

    group/puppet-users?hl=en<http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en>
    .
    .
    .
    For more options, visit this group at
  • Gavin Williams at Feb 11, 2013 at 3:12 pm
    Pete

    Bit of a blast from the past, but this is next on my hit-list...

    Code looks like it fits quite well overall, however I'm struggling to see
    how you handle adding additional plugin scripts to the boxes... Can see
    plugin.pp adding the required nagios cfg additions, but it doesnt appear to
    be copying the actual plugin file(s)... Is that something you handle
    separately?

    Cheers
    Gavin
[...]

  • Peter Brown at Feb 12, 2013 at 4:52 am
    Hi Gavin.

    Those are in my monitoring module which uses nrpe::plugin define to add
    resources to a node.
    It's on forge and github now if you want to take a look...

    I am trying to write more portable code that manages one service as opposed
    to how I had it before which was one module managing nagios,nrpe,nsca and
    assorted goodies.
    I also need to write some docs...