I think the problem I'm having with not being able to run puppet for up to
90 minutes after a reboot is related to this error, which goes away some
time in that time period:

# puppet agent -t
Info: Retrieving plugin
Timed out seeking value for ipaddress
Timed out seeking value for ipaddress

What exactly is facter doing that doesn't work immediately after the boot,
but does start working at some point after? Is there a package that isn't
getting installed except as a dependency somewhere once things start
creeping forward?

  • Peter Bukowinski at Nov 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm

    That depends on your operating system. Perusing https://github.com/puppetlabs/facter/blob/master/lib/facter/ipaddress.rb will show you exactly what it's doing. If you're using a *nix variant, facter uses ifconfig. If windows, it uses the socket library.

    --
    Peter

  • Bret Wortman at Nov 30, 2012 at 11:59 am

    I think the problem I'm having with not being able to run puppet for up to
    90 minutes after a reboot is related to this error, which goes away some
    time in that time period:

    # puppet agent -t
    Info: Retrieving plugin
    Timed out seeking value for ipaddress
    Timed out seeking value for ipaddress

    What exactly is facter doing that doesn't work immediately after the boot,
    but does start working at some point after? Is there a package that isn't
    getting installed except as a dependency somewhere once things start
    creeping forward?

    That depends on your operating system. Perusing
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/facter/blob/master/lib/facter/ipaddress.rb will
    show you exactly what it's doing. If you're using a *nix variant, facter
    uses ifconfig. If windows, it uses the socket library.

    Aha! The problem is that "ifconfig" doesn't return anything containing
    "inet addr:" in Fedora 17. The output looks like this:

    eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 192.168.2.13 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    inet6 fe80::d6be:d9ff:fe92:1df5 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
    inet6 2001:470:1d:429:d6be:d9ff:fe92:1df5 prefixlen 64 scopeid
    0x0<global>
    ether d4:be:d9:92:1d:f5 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
    RX packets 15939189 bytes 11636881674 (10.8 GiB)
    RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
    TX packets 14236195 bytes 2245276793 (2.0 GiB)
    TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
    device interrupt 19

    So it falls through to "host `hostname`", which isn't available because I
    need Puppet to configure freeipa-client for me, which it struggles to do.
    So I guess I have to hardcode the DNS server into my kickstart and then let
    puppet take care of the resolv.conf after that.

    What about F17 sites that don't use DNS and instead rely on host tables?
    This will fail completely, won't it?

    --
    Peter
  • Ashley Penney at Nov 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm

[...]

    I have no idea if it cleanly merges but if you're feeling brave you could
    grab https://github.com/puppetlabs/facter/pull/267 and see if that
    magically does the right thing for F17. It uses /sbin/ip in preference to
    ifconfig, so it should work a lot better. I couldn't get it merged so it's
    just sat and gotten a little stale but hopefully does 99% of what you need
    still if you can merge it for testing.

  • Bret Wortman at Nov 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm
    Awesome! I'll give it a try and report back. Happy to help test.

    *
    *
    *

    Bret Wortman***
    http://bretwortman.com/
    http://twitter.com/BretWortman

[...]

  • Mandla Mbuli at Dec 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm
    Hi

    I am running a version 'facterversion => 2.0.0-rc4' do you know if this
    uses /sbin/ip?
    does it adapt for ArchLinux which uses puts it in /usr/sbin/ip (judgin from
    `which ip`)
    `facter ipaddress` and `facter fqdn` don't work for me. I don't know how to
    troubleshoot.
    I just started really reading/playing about puppet today.

    I also tried the latest version available from rubygems and it still can't
    find the ipadress
    or fqdn.

    What could be the possible problems?

[...]

  • Ashley Penney at Dec 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm

    I am running a version 'facterversion => 2.0.0-rc4' do you know if this
    uses /sbin/ip?
    does it adapt for ArchLinux which uses puts it in /usr/sbin/ip (judgin
    from `which ip`)
    `facter ipaddress` and `facter fqdn` don't work for me. I don't know how
    to troubleshoot.
    I just started really reading/playing about puppet today.

    I also tried the latest version available from rubygems and it still can't
    find the ipadress
    or fqdn.

    What could be the possible problems?
    The pull request hasn't been merged so I believe it still only uses
    ifconfig. You'll have to either find a way to install that on arch or try
    and manually merge the pull request in I'm afraid!

  • Mandla Mbuli at Dec 31, 2012 at 9:55 am
    Im considering just continue working on the tutorial, hopefully this gets
    sorted by the time I need it.
    I tried merging (https://github.com/Elwell/facter.git ifconfig_refactor
    into a clone
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/facter.git master and fixed the merge
    conflict. I then tried
    installing and this need ruby knowledge and I have 0 ruby knowledge.

    Quick guess I did 'gem build facter.gemspec' then 'gem install
    facter-1.6.11.gem' then tried
    'facter ipaddress' and I get an error:

    /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': cannot load
    such file -- facter/application (LoadError)
    from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
    from /usr/bin/facter:69:in `<main>'

    Should I just wait for the pull to be merged into the puppet branch?
    I am running a version 'facterversion => 2.0.0-rc4' do you know if this
    uses /sbin/ip?
    does it adapt for ArchLinux which uses puts it in /usr/sbin/ip (judgin
    from `which ip`)
    `facter ipaddress` and `facter fqdn` don't work for me. I don't know how
    to troubleshoot.
    I just started really reading/playing about puppet today.

    I also tried the latest version available from rubygems and it still
    can't find the ipadress
    or fqdn.

    What could be the possible problems?
    The pull request hasn't been merged so I believe it still only uses
    ifconfig. You'll have to either find a way to install that on arch or try
    and manually merge the pull request in I'm afraid!
  • Jared Curtis at Jan 1, 2013 at 12:29 am
    Facter 1.6.17 has a fix for the ip address issue for distros that use newer
    versions of net-tools.
[...]

  • Mandla Mbuli at Jan 2, 2013 at 10:08 pm
    I found ruby-facter-1.6.17 on AUR and `facter ipaddress` still does not
    work.
    (I have NO ruby experience)
    I looked at the facter.rb file and it seems to import the util/ip file and
    I think
    those use the /sbin/ip

    What could be the problem?