Question: on my current puppet setup 2.7.3-0 rhel 6.2 centos - passenger is
used to provide the throughput for the heavy delivery that puppet could not
do by itself, was this fix in version 3.0 puppet? I will be upgrading to
3.0 and will like puppet master to push to multiple of clients without
being clobbered, Can I just use puppet transport agent by itself instead
of using apache/passenger?

  • Matthew Burgess at Nov 27, 2012 at 2:45 pm

    Question: on my current puppet setup 2.7.3-0 rhel 6.2 centos - passenger is
    used to provide the throughput for the heavy delivery that puppet could not
    do by itself, was this fix in version 3.0 puppet? I will be upgrading to 3.0
    and will like puppet master to push to multiple of clients without being
    clobbered, Can I just use puppet transport agent by itself instead of using
    apache/passenger?
    You'll have to stick with Apache/Passenger for any non-trivial number
    of nodes. Webrick (the HTTP server used by the puppetmaster) is
    single-threaded, so can only handle one client checking in at a time.

    Regards,

    Matt.

  • DJames at Nov 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm
    ahh i was hoping the puppet master on 3.0 could handle the transport on its
    own, well dealing with 1800+ plus production systems this mechanism could
    be an issue...
    Question: on my current puppet setup 2.7.3-0 rhel 6.2 centos - passenger is
    used to provide the throughput for the heavy delivery that puppet could not
    do by itself, was this fix in version 3.0 puppet? I will be upgrading to 3.0
    and will like puppet master to push to multiple of clients without being
    clobbered, Can I just use puppet transport agent by itself instead of using
    apache/passenger?
    You'll have to stick with Apache/Passenger for any non-trivial number
    of nodes. Webrick (the HTTP server used by the puppetmaster) is
    single-threaded, so can only handle one client checking in at a time.

    Regards,

    Matt.
  • DJames at Nov 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm
    ran across this, what do you think about Mongrel?
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Using_Mongrel
    Question: on my current puppet setup 2.7.3-0 rhel 6.2 centos - passenger is
    used to provide the throughput for the heavy delivery that puppet could not
    do by itself, was this fix in version 3.0 puppet? I will be upgrading to 3.0
    and will like puppet master to push to multiple of clients without being
    clobbered, Can I just use puppet transport agent by itself instead of using
    apache/passenger?
    You'll have to stick with Apache/Passenger for any non-trivial number
    of nodes. Webrick (the HTTP server used by the puppetmaster) is
    single-threaded, so can only handle one client checking in at a time.

    Regards,

    Matt.
  • Ramin K at Nov 28, 2012 at 2:34 pm