I'm looking to implement a hiera backend for our Puppet installation, as we
routinely deploy systems that are of varying hardware, OS, and which may
have multiple roles they fill.

I've figured out, I think, how to handle the OS question through facter,
but implementing server roles isn't quite so clear. I want to maintain that
information on the server, not on the clients, but everything hiera-related
seems to use the facts for a given system. Installing a file containing the
roles on the client seems like a kludge. Is there a more hiera-ish,
puppet-ish way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

  • Jcbollinger at Nov 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm

    I'm looking to implement a hiera backend for our Puppet installation, as
    we routinely deploy systems that are of varying hardware, OS, and which may
    have multiple roles they fill.

    I've figured out, I think, how to handle the OS question through facter,
    but implementing server roles isn't quite so clear. I want to maintain that
    information on the server, not on the clients, but everything hiera-related
    seems to use the facts for a given system. Installing a file containing the
    roles on the client seems like a kludge. Is there a more hiera-ish,
    puppet-ish way to accomplish this?
    Suppose you define one class for each role (each of which may declare any
    number of resources and other classes). In Puppet 3, I think you can do
    this:

    # An array of the names of the needed role classes
    $role_classes = hiera('role_classes')

    # Declare those classes
    include ${role_classes}

    If I recall correctly, though, you can accomplish the same thing, even in
    Puppet 2.[67], with

    hiera_include('role_classes')

    John