I have 2 questions regarding puppet.conf file:

1. What should I do to use puppet to deploy puppet.conf files? I have
only one puppetmaster, but I was wondering if I should push the same file
on all my hosts (including the puppetmaster) or should I have a file
specifically for puppetmaster. I want to push puppet.conf file because I
want to set reporting on on clients, mostly.
2. It looks like the default environment for puppetmaster was "Master".
Should I change that to something else... I'd like to eventually use
different environments (dev, staging, prod)?

  • Ryan Coleman at Nov 26, 2012 at 2:07 am

    I have 2 questions regarding puppet.conf file:

    1. What should I do to use puppet to deploy puppet.conf files? I have
    only one puppetmaster, but I was wondering if I should push the same file
    on all my hosts (including the puppetmaster) or should I have a file
    specifically for puppetmaster. I want to push puppet.conf file because I
    want to set reporting on on clients, mostly.

    Try the cprice404-inifile module. It will let you manage individual
    sections of puppet.conf instead of managing the whole file. For example, if
    you just want to turn reporting on, you can declare the following resource
    on all of your systems in whichever class you choose.

    ini_setting { 'enable_reporting':
    path => '/etc/puppet/puppet.conf',
    section => 'agent',
    setting => 'report',
    value => 'true',
    ensure => present,
    }

    http://forge.puppetlabs.com/cprice404/inifile

    Side-note, report is set to true by default on Puppet 3 agents. Upgrade
    today! :-) http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/upgrading.html

    1. It looks like the default environment for puppetmaster was
    "Master". Should I change that to something else... I'd like to eventually
    use different environments (dev, staging, prod)?

    The default environment should be 'production'. Try `puppet config print
    environment` on a modern Puppet version to be sure. Here's lots more on
    environments. http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/environment.html

    Ryan Coleman | Modules & Forge | @ryanycoleman | ryancoleman in #puppet

  • Ugo Bellavance at Nov 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm

[...]

    I'll look into that, looks promising

    Side-note, report is set to true by default on Puppet 3 agents. Upgrade
    today! :-) http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/upgrading.html
    1. It looks like the default environment for puppetmaster was
    "Master". Should I change that to something else... I'd like to eventually
    use different environments (dev, staging, prod)?

    The default environment should be 'production'. Try `puppet config print
    environment` on a modern Puppet version to be sure. Here's lots more on
    environments. http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/environment.html

    Puppet 2.6 doesn't support the config argument. But I wonder where I could
    have taken this [master] config from. Maybe a tutorial or a book... Since
    it is the only environment configured, I guess it would be harmless to
    rename it to production right?

    For more options, visit this group at

    Ryan Coleman | Modules & Forge | @ryanycoleman | ryancoleman in #puppet

  • Chad Huneycutt at Nov 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm

    It looks like the default environment for puppetmaster was "Master".
    Should I change that to something else... I'd like to eventually use
    different environments (dev, staging, prod)?
    The default environment should be 'production'. Try `puppet config print
    environment` on a modern Puppet version to be sure. Here's lots more on
    environments. http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/environment.html
    Puppet 2.6 doesn't support the config argument. But I wonder where I could
    have taken this [master] config from. Maybe a tutorial or a book... Since
    it is the only environment configured, I guess it would be harmless to
    rename it to production right?
    The [master] section of the config file does not specify an
    environment. That is options that apply to the master only. You can
    also use [agent] (and probably [cert], [apply], etc.).

    --
    Chad M. Huneycutt

  • Ugo Bellavance at Nov 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm

    It looks like the default environment for puppetmaster was "Master".
    Should I change that to something else... I'd like to eventually use
    different environments (dev, staging, prod)?
    The default environment should be 'production'. Try `puppet config
    print
    environment` on a modern Puppet version to be sure. Here's lots more on
    environments. http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/environment.html
    Puppet 2.6 doesn't support the config argument. But I wonder where I could
    have taken this [master] config from. Maybe a tutorial or a book... Since
    it is the only environment configured, I guess it would be harmless to
    rename it to production right?
    The [master] section of the config file does not specify an
    environment. That is options that apply to the master only. You can
    also use [agent] (and probably [cert], [apply], etc.).
    Ah, must be a foreman issue then... Foreman sees "Master" as my
    environment...

    --
    Chad M. Huneycutt
  • Ugo Bellavance at Nov 30, 2012 at 2:06 pm

[...]

    My original question was more: can I have the same puppet.conf for nodes
    that simple agents and for my puppetmaster?

    Thanks,

    Ugo

  • Calvin Walton at Dec 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm

    I have 2 questions regarding puppet.conf file:

    1. What should I do to use puppet to deploy puppet.conf files? I have
    only one puppetmaster, but I was wondering if I should push the same file
    on all my hosts (including the puppetmaster) or should I have a file
    specifically for puppetmaster. I want to push puppet.conf file because I
    want to set reporting on on clients, mostly.
    My original question was more: can I have the same puppet.conf for nodes
    that simple agents and for my puppetmaster?
    Yes, you can. The agents will simply ignore any master-specific
    configuration options present in the puppet.conf file.

    On my system, I've actually configured the puppet master to use a
    separate configuration file from the puppet agents. You can do this
    fairly easily by editing the init script (on debian/ubuntu you can do
    this in /etc/defaults/puppetmaster) to pass
    "--config_file_name=puppetmaster" when starting the master process.

    --
    Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@kepstin.ca>

grouppuppet-users @
categoriespuppet