We have ~20 Red Hat servers and usually use EPEL as third-party repo. I'm
currently using the packages provided by this repo (2.6.17-2), but I was
wondering what were the pros and cons of using puppetlabs' repo instead. I
can see that it provides puppet 3.x, facter 1.6.14 and hiera (which is
unavailable in EPEL but I haven't started using it).

I currently have a very basic setup but want to use puppet more in the
future. I also installed foreman on the same machine, which is not really
usefull for me because the only thing that works on it is the display of my
host and facts (I use kickstart scripts for provisionning). I haven't been
able to make the rest work (partly because I don't use modules yet). I can
see that puppetlabs' repo provides puppet-dashboard which may do the same
thing and maybe more.

I can see that there are pros to use this repo but if I do, will I have to
enable it on all my puppet agents or will my EPEL-provided agents be able
to talk with the 3.0 puppet-server without restriction?

Thanks,

Ugo

  • Peter Brown at Nov 22, 2012 at 11:16 pm

[...]

    Hi Ugo,

    You will get the current versions on the puppetlabs repo but you will also
    get versions that may disrupt your setup.
    My advice would be to switch to 3.0 before you get to far in.
    It adds a bunch of extra functionality and speedups and and switching your
    setup to 3.0 later will be a pain.

    If you don't have a testing environment setup I would also recommend you
    set one up running 3.0 and test your modules with that before switching
    your production environment over.

    Some reference material to help you switch
    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/upgrading.html

    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/release_notes.html#backwards-incompatible-changes-in-30
    This section primarily but the whole page will help as well.

    Good luck!
    (I am in the process of switching my testing environment over to 3.0.1 so
    if you get suck I may be able to help)

    Pete.

    Thanks,

    Ugo

  • Ugo Bellavance at Nov 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm
    But will I need to put all my agents to 3.0 as well?

    Ugo
[...]

    For more options, visit this group at
  • Walter Heck at Nov 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm

    But will I need to put all my agents to 3.0 as well?
    You'll be better off if you switch now, since the 2.x releases are in
    bugfix-only state.