I'm a relative newbie using Puppet Enterprise 2.5.3 (I know there are new
versions)....

I currently have my Yum repo served via HTTP on a different machine from my
Puppet Master and I'm considering moving my Yum repo to the same machine
that runs the Puppet Master. Is that a good, bad or indifferent practice?

My Puppet Master (for now) will manage less than 10 nodes so I'm not
worried about performance.

Thanks! Thomas Kenny

  • Thomas Linkin at Nov 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm
    Thomas,

    By design, PE will not interfere with the vendor httpd package. With a small setup like that, I do not see keeping your repo there as being something you shouldn't do. Just be mindful of the non-puppet services you wish to host from the master. If there is any insecurity or vulnerability in the extra services you host from your master, then Puppet might not be as secure.

    --
    Tom Linkin
    Professional Services Engineer