Thought I'd ask around here before I go file a bug report.

Basically, I have a few machines administered by puppet which have an
unreliable internet connection. They talk to my puppetmaster on an internal
network and have NAT through a router to the internet. The NAT doesn't
always work. When it doesn't, puppet runs start to hang with a python
script at /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/provider/package/yumhelper.py
just never exiting. if I kill it, the run finishes with no changes.
Sometimes it will exit on it's own after a few hours.

So, anyone else having this issue, or have I found something new.

os: centos 6
puppet: 3.0.1
ruby: 1.8.7
python: 2.6.6

  • Jcbollinger at Nov 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

    Thought I'd ask around here before I go file a bug report.

    Basically, I have a few machines administered by puppet which have an
    unreliable internet connection. They talk to my puppetmaster on an internal
    network and have NAT through a router to the internet. The NAT doesn't
    always work. When it doesn't, puppet runs start to hang with a python
    script at /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/provider/package/yumhelper.py
    just never exiting. if I kill it, the run finishes with no changes.
    Sometimes it will exit on it's own after a few hours.

    So, anyone else having this issue, or have I found something new.
    I am not experiencing the issue, probably because my machines are not
    routinely afflicted with unreliable networking. If the problem is specific
    to the Yum provider, however, then I would look first at yum. It has some
    behaviors that could very well cause delays and/or hangs under some types
    of unfavorable network conditions.

    Specifically, you should uninstall or disable Yum's "fastestmirror" plugin
    on machines that cannot reliably reach the Internet, and you should ensure
    that all enabled repositories are pointed to repository or mirrorlist URLs
    that can be reached reliably. The latter will probably require you to
    maintain local mirrors of all the repositories you use, but that's a pretty
    good practice anyway.

    John