Hi all,

In my systems (SL 6.3, RH like) I'm installing Oracle's Java.
I'm managing the package and several links under /etc/alternatives
with puppet, but for configuring it, all the 'official' docs recommends
'alternatives'. I've been looking for some module which already
deals with it, but I've not found any... anyone knows any module with
deals with alternatives?

TIA,
Arnau

  • Johan De Wit at Nov 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

    In my systems (SL 6.3, RH like) I'm installing Oracle's Java.
    I'm managing the package and several links under /etc/alternatives
    with puppet, but for configuring it, all the 'official' docs recommends
    'alternatives'. I've been looking for some module which already
    deals with it, but I've not found any... anyone knows any module with
    deals with alternatives?

    TIA,
    Arnau
    Hi,

    I' ve attached my java module.

    We needed to install multiple java versions on the same hosts, so, i
    repackaged them to make that possible. That's why i use the alternatives
    to set a default system wide java version. I also added a spec file as
    example.

    This version is made to run on sles11spX. I'm now making the deb
    packages for the custom java version.

    I hope this will put you on the right track for a possible solution.
    Any comments are welcome.

    Grts

    johan

    --
    Johan De Wit

    Open Source Consultant
    Red Hat Certified Engineer (805008667232363)
    Puppet Certified Professional 2013 (PCP0000006)

    Open-Future Phone +32 (0)2/255 70 70
    Zavelstraat 72 Fax +32 (0)2/255 70 71
    3071 KORTENBERG Mobile +32 (0)474/42 40 73
    BELGIUM http://www.open-future.be
  • Arnau Bria at Nov 21, 2012 at 10:04 am

    We needed to install multiple java versions on the same hosts, so, i
    repackaged them to make that possible. That's why i use the
    alternatives to set a default system wide java version. I also
    added a spec file as example.

    This version is made to run on sles11spX. I'm now making the deb
    packages for the custom java version.

    I hope this will put you on the right track for a possible solution.
    yes, I took some ideas from your code.
    Any comments are welcome.
    Grts

    johan