On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Stephen Price wrote:

I finally got around to installing PuppetDB and connecting it to my
Master. I even set up Nginx to act as a reverse proxy, and I can make API
calls like a pro. The dashboard is nice, but I'm anxious to get at least
the same functionality that Puppet Dashboard gave me. Namely, a quick look
at recent catalog changes or run failures (is this even possible, since
PuppetDB doesn't yet receive reports?).

Does anyone have any interfaces or scripts they've built around the API
for getting quick access to this information? Or perhaps any tips for
building it on my own?
Until we get report storage integrated (which we're actively working on as
we speak), this information isn't present in PuppetDB. However, you can
still send reports to Dashboard, and view the data from there in the
mean-time. And because PuppetDB implements the inventory service API, all
the other dashboard functionality should work exactly the same. But in
terms of a programmable interface to that info by hitting PuppetDB
directly, that's coming soon but isn't there yet.

You can access the timestamps of the last catalog or set of facts that
puppetdb has received for a node, however. So you can use that to check for
the last time a master compiled a catalog for a given node. But without
reports, we can't currently tell you if any resources have changed. We're
working on it, though. :)

deepak

  • Stephen Price at Nov 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm
    Good to hear! I'm looking forward to being able to replace Dashboard, and
    PuppetDB has been working great for everything else so far.