Hello,

We get a good amount of warnings regarding queries that couldn't be
executed within the threshold. There are 2 types of queries that usually
get logged with this warning, I just wanted to ask if these queries look
normal, because we cannot really judge, as we're fairly new to PuppetDB.
Especially the second one looks weird, and it also makes our logfile grow
fast.

Example for type 1 : http://pastebin.com/exNG2bCj

Example for type 2 (this is actually one single entry in the log) :
http://pastebin.com/ym9AHPSk

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

ak0ska

  • Chris Price at Nov 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm
    Hi,

    Thanks for letting us know about the log messages you are seeing!

    A few thoughts:

    1) Re: the first query that you sent (DELETE FROM catalogs...): this is the
    PuppetDB "garbage collector", which cleans up unused data from the tables
    every so often. It's not entirely shocking that this query might take over
    10 seconds on occasion, so this one is probably nothing to be too worried
    about--though we will be keeping an eye out on our end of things, and if
    this is something that users are seeing in their logs frequently, we'll
    probably at least make some changes to improve the way we're logging it.

    2) The logging on that second query is horrible, that's definitely a bug on
    our end. I've created a ticket for it here:
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/17732

    3) Now, perhaps more importantly, we'd like to figure out why the queries
    are running slow for you in the first place. As I mentioned, it's not
    entirely shocking/concerning that that first query would end up taking
    longer than 10 seconds to run, but the second one is fairly surprising.
    Could you possible provide us with some specs about your environment?
    What kind of hardware are you running PuppetDB on? Which database backend
    are you using? How many nodes do you have in your population, and
    approximately how many resources per node? (A screenshot of your PuppetDB
    dashboard web page might be useful if you don't mind sharing one.)

    If you need a faster response, please feel free to jump on IRC (Freenode,
    #puppet), and just mention the word 'puppetdb'.

    Thanks again for letting us know!