We have specified in our manifests some Package resources to install some
self-extracting .exe's onto our Windows Puppet machines. Currently we are
seeing that our agents are running these installers every Puppet run. We
have specified 'ensure => installed' but they are re-installing anyway.

We made sure that the installer's are 'behaving-correctly' by checking the
registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and
confirmed that our installers have the appropriate data in there. We cannot
figure out where else to check.

Thanks,
Reggie

  • Josh Cooper at Nov 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm
    Hi Reggie,

    On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Reginald Choudari
    We have specified in our manifests some Package resources to install some
    self-extracting .exe's onto our Windows Puppet machines. Currently we are
    seeing that our agents are running these installers every Puppet run. We
    have specified 'ensure => installed' but they are re-installing anyway.

    We made sure that the installer's are 'behaving-correctly' by checking the
    registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and
    confirmed that our installers have the appropriate data in there. We cannot
    figure out where else to check.

    Thanks,
    Reggie

    Most likely, the package name in your manifest does not match the
    value of the DisplayName property in the registry, which is also the
    value displayed in Add/Remove Programs.

    A quick way to verify this is to install the package using puppet.
    Then run `puppet resource package <name>`, also with the name as
    displayed in Add/Remove Programs. You should see puppet report that
    the package is installed.

    [1] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/windows/writing.html#packagepackage

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

  • Reginald Choudari at Nov 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm
    Ah this works perfectly, thanks a lot.