Hi all,

Over the past few weeks, I ported the Puppet Dashboard to run on Rails 3
with Ruby 1.8.7. I'm down to only three unit test failures, so I think it's
a good time to share the work and see if anybody else is interested in
continuing Dashboard with me.

http://github.com/sodabrew/puppet-dashboard

https://travis-ci.org/sodabrew/puppet-dashboard/jobs/3095051

What's new here?
- Rails 3.2.8!
- Model protection against mass-assignment attacks.
- Prototype JS is removed.
- URLs for Groups and Classes by name, not only ID number.
- Bundler 1.x, Gemfile, runs under Thin.

My next plans:
- Use PaperTrail to provide change histories for everything (way more than
fact reports, I need "who changed this parameter?").
- Use Devise for AAA, integration with company Auth and view/edit
permissions (e.g. Devs can view, Ops can edit).
- Make it prettier? Bootstrap perhaps?
- Unit tests passing ;)

Cheers,
Aaron

  • Aaron Stone at Nov 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm
    I've added Devise and OmniAuth, starting with configs for Google OAuth2
    (compatible with and can be restricted to apps-for-your-domain) on this
    branch:

    https://github.com/sodabrew/puppet-dashboard/tree/rails3-aaa

    Next week I will tie logins to who-changed-what-and-when accounting,
    followed by viewer/editor/admin access levels.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

[...]

  • Joshua Bussdieker at Dec 6, 2012 at 7:14 am
    Awesome! I had that thought myself :)

    On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Aaron Stone <soda...@gmail.com<javascript:>
[...]

  • Aaron Stone at Dec 10, 2012 at 11:33 pm
    Update: thanks to help from GitHub users @igreg and @astratto, Puppet
    Dashboard Rails 3 is now fully compatible with Ruby 1.9! The rails3 and
    rails3-aaa branches are up to date as of Dashboard version 1.2.15 plus the
    work on those branches.

    I'm down to just 3 test failures, and actively working on getting to fully
    clean test runs. Help appreciated! Please take a look at the test results
    from these Travis builds:
    https://travis-ci.org/sodabrew/puppet-dashboard/builds/3588533

    Still working on the audit trail, but no new updates on that yet.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

[...]

  • Jakov Sosic at Dec 16, 2012 at 12:12 am

    Dashboard Rails 3 is now fully compatible with Ruby 1.9! The rails3 and
    rails3-aaa branches are up to date as of Dashboard version 1.2.15 plus
    the work on those branches.

    I'm down to just 3 test failures, and actively working on getting to
    fully clean test runs. Help appreciated! Please take a look at the test
    results from these Travis builds:
    https://travis-ci.org/sodabrew/puppet-dashboard/builds/3588533

    Still working on the audit trail, but no new updates on that yet.
    Keep up the good work!

    I've never used dashboard, is there any demo? :)

    --
    Jakov Sosic
    www.srce.unizg.hr

  • Aaron Stone at Dec 17, 2012 at 11:24 pm
    That's a great question! None that I know of, but I could put together some
    screenshots.

    https://travis-ci.org/**sodabrew/puppet-dashboard/**builds/3588533<https://travis-ci.org/sodabrew/puppet-dashboard/builds/3588533>

    .