New-ish to Puppet. I'm just getting beyond the basics, now.

Got a postfix module defined. But there is a wrinkle: the server needs to
send mail from root as root@domain.com not root@hostname.domain.com

Because our service desk accepts tickets from servers BUT the counts as
'spam' anything NOT from domain.com.

This is easy with postfix:

edit /etc/postfix/generic - add "root@hostname.domain.com
hostname@domain.com"
$ postmap /etc/postfix/generic
restart service postfix

How do I tell puppet do this?

  • Tim Mooney at Nov 9, 2012 at 7:31 pm

    In regard to: [Puppet Users] Puppet - Postfix - How-To edit generic.db,...:

    New-ish to Puppet. I'm just getting beyond the basics, now.

    Got a postfix module defined. But there is a wrinkle: the server needs to
    send mail from root as root@domain.com not root@hostname.domain.com
    So the big question is whether this config needs to be applied to *all*
    the systems where you might run postfix, or whether it's specific to
    one particular system or set of systems.
    Because our service desk accepts tickets from servers BUT the counts as
    'spam' anything NOT from domain.com.

    This is easy with postfix:

    edit /etc/postfix/generic - add "root@hostname.domain.com
    hostname@domain.com"
    You need to modify a file, so you'll want to have a file resource
    defined somewhere. Are there other settings in that file you typically
    customize? If so, you may want the source for the file to be a
    template(). If not, there are other ways you might handle it.

    So, the file resource is going to look something like

    file { '/etc/postfix/generic':
    ensure => file,
    owner => 'some_user',
    group => 'some_group',
    mode => '0somethingsomethingsomething',
    source => yet_to_be_determined,
    notify => Exec['postmap-generic'],
    }

    The real question is what goes in the "yet_to_be_determined" area for
    the source. It could be a template

    source => template('postfix/generic.erb'),

    or perhaps it's a list of files (first one that matches is used):

    source => [
    "puppet:///modules/postfix/generic.${::fqdn}",
    'puppet:///modules/postfix/generic',
    ],

    Determining how you pick the source for the file is going to be the
    most difficult part of this, and it depends on how much customization
    you need to do.
    $ postmap /etc/postfix/generic
    For that, you need an exec resource to execute your command after the file
    is modified:

    exec { 'postmap-generic':
    cwd => '/etc/postfix',
    path => '/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin',
    command => 'postmap generic',
    refreshonly => true,
    notify => Service['postfix'],
    }
    restart service postfix
    service { 'postfix':
    ensure => running,
    enable => true,
    }

    Tim
    --
    Tim Mooney tim.mooney@ndsu.edu
    Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure 701-231-1076 (Voice)