hi all,

How are you? I have a question on the class dependencies.

This is my init.pp script looks like

class mapr {
Class['mapr::install'] -> Class["mapr::config"]

include mapr::install,
mapr::config

}

In my mapr::install class i have another few lines of includes statement to
install different packages. Same goes to mapr::config. My Class dependency
is not working at all when i put

Class['mapr::install'] -> Class["mapr::config"]

It executed config first before install, which is the one that i wish to
do.

can anyone educate me on this? thanks!

  • Nick Fagerlund at Nov 6, 2012 at 5:07 am
    Yup, this is the classes-can't-contain-classes problem. It sucks, everyone
    runs into it eventually, and it's explained in detail here:

    http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/lang_containment.html#known-issues

    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/8040

    You'll need to use the "anchor pattern"
    (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/lang_containment.html#workaround-the-anchor-pattern)
    to ensure that the interior classes get "held" in place inside their
    wrapper class.

    The platform development team uses votes in our issue tracker to help
    decide what they'll focus on next. If this problem bothered you a lot,
    please vote for issue 8040 here: http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/8040

    Sorry for the inconvenience, and good luck.

    How are you? I have a question on the class dependencies.

    This is my init.pp script looks like

    class mapr {
    Class['mapr::install'] -> Class["mapr::config"]

    include mapr::install,
    mapr::config

    }

    In my mapr::install class i have another few lines of includes statement
    to install different packages. Same goes to mapr::config. My Class
    dependency is not working at all when i put

    Class['mapr::install'] -> Class["mapr::config"]

    It executed config first before install, which is the one that i wish to
    do.

    can anyone educate me on this? thanks!

  • Hiu at Nov 6, 2012 at 5:42 am
    Thanks for the info.

    Do you have more descriptive explanation on the anchor pattern? From what
    you have pasted on this link isn't sound descriptive. Or can you give me a
    pattern of codes instead? thanks!