Hi

I want to modify one of the existing lenses to better suit my needs, but
I don't know where to put it on the filesystem?

It seems wrong to overwrite file in /usr/share/augeas/lenses/dist or to
rebuild augeas-libs, is there any other way to distribute modifications
of existing lenses or completely new lenses?

  • Ian Mortimer at Nov 7, 2012 at 3:49 am

    I want to modify one of the existing lenses to better suit my needs, but
    I don't know where to put it on the filesystem?
    I build an rpm which installs custom lenses in /usr/share/augeas/lenses
    It seems wrong to overwrite file in /usr/share/augeas/lenses/dist or to
    rebuild augeas-libs, is there any other way to distribute modifications
    of existing lenses or completely new lenses?
    It would be nicer to put them in /usr/share/augeas/lenses/local but
    that doesn't work (or didn't the last time I tried).

    --
    Ian
    i.mortimer@uq.edu.au Ian Mortimer

  • Dominic Cleal at Nov 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm

    I want to modify one of the existing lenses to better suit my needs, but
    I don't know where to put it on the filesystem?

    It seems wrong to overwrite file in /usr/share/augeas/lenses/dist or to
    rebuild augeas-libs, is there any other way to distribute modifications
    of existing lenses or completely new lenses?
    You can deploy them as file resources or packages (as Ian suggested)
    into /usr/share/augeas/lenses, which takes precedence over the dist
    subdirectory.

    If you are using 2.7.18 or higher, you can also pluginsync lenses in the
    same way as facts etc. This should take precedence over dist lenses
    too. Store the lens at:

    modulename/lib/augeas/lenses/custom.aug

    (http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/plugins_in_modules.html)

    --