FAQ
I have a question for windows users out there. Adam recently reported a
bug[1] that the managehome parameter on Windows doesn't work. According to
the documentation (since 2.7.6), the "manages_homedir [feature is defined
as] The provider can create and remove home directories."[2]

As such, the fix for #15560 will create/delete the home directory when
ensure => present/absent, respectively, and managehome => true. Note,
managehome is false by default. This fix is targeted for 2.7.20 and is in
alignment with other *nix-y user providers that support the manages_homedir
feature, e.g. useradd.

However, there may be users out there that have set `managehome => true` in
their manifests, and are unaware of what that parameter means. Worse, they
may be surprised when upgrading to 2.7.20.

Clearly, we're fixing a bug, and matching the behavior as described in our
documentation, but we'd also like to keep 2.7.20 as stable as possible.
Comments welcome.

Also, Puppet 3.0 does create and delete the home directory, as expected.

Josh

[1] http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/15560
[2] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/2.7.6/type.html#user

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/aLxqR34Sz-4J.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Search Discussions

  • Jcbollinger at Nov 6, 2012 at 8:28 pm

    On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:36:19 PM UTC-6, Josh Cooper wrote:
    I have a question for windows users out there. Adam recently reported a
    bug[1] that the managehome parameter on Windows doesn't work. According to
    the documentation (since 2.7.6), the "manages_homedir [feature is defined
    as] The provider can create and remove home directories."[2]

    As such, the fix for #15560 will create/delete the home directory when
    ensure => present/absent, respectively, and managehome => true. Note,
    managehome is false by default. This fix is targeted for 2.7.20 and is in
    alignment with other *nix-y user providers that support the manages_homedir
    feature, e.g. useradd.

    However, there may be users out there that have set `managehome => true`
    in their manifests, and are unaware of what that parameter means. Worse,
    they may be surprised when upgrading to 2.7.20.

    Clearly, we're fixing a bug, and matching the behavior as described in our
    documentation, but we'd also like to keep 2.7.20 as stable as possible.
    Comments welcome.

    Also, Puppet 3.0 does create and delete the home directory, as expected.

    Create *and* delete? Is that just the Windows provider, or also the others
    that support the manages_homedir feature? Historic behavior, at least for
    some providers, was to create the homedir upon user creation, but not to
    remove it upon user removal. There are circumstances in which that is
    preferable, and you certainly would not want to surprise users who depend
    on it.


    John

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/_vl1ZBBOAh4J.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Josh Cooper at Nov 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm
    Hi John,
    On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM, jcbollinger wrote:


    On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:36:19 PM UTC-6, Josh Cooper wrote:

    I have a question for windows users out there. Adam recently reported a
    bug[1] that the managehome parameter on Windows doesn't work. According to
    the documentation (since 2.7.6), the "manages_homedir [feature is defined
    as] The provider can create and remove home directories."[2]

    As such, the fix for #15560 will create/delete the home directory when
    ensure => present/absent, respectively, and managehome => true. Note,
    managehome is false by default. This fix is targeted for 2.7.20 and is
    in alignment with other *nix-y user providers that support the
    manages_homedir feature, e.g. useradd.

    However, there may be users out there that have set `managehome => true`
    in their manifests, and are unaware of what that parameter means. Worse,
    they may be surprised when upgrading to 2.7.20.

    Clearly, we're fixing a bug, and matching the behavior as described in
    our documentation, but we'd also like to keep 2.7.20 as stable as possible.
    Comments welcome.

    Also, Puppet 3.0 does create and delete the home directory, as expected.

    Create *and* delete? Is that just the Windows provider, or also the
    others that support the manages_homedir feature?
    The useradd provider deletes the home directory:
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/3.0.x/lib/puppet/provider/user/useradd.rb#L86

    As does pw:
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/3.0.x/lib/puppet/provider/user/pw.rb#L59

    And same for providers that extend those.

    Historic behavior, at least for some providers, was to create the
    homedir upon user creation, but not to remove it upon user removal.
    I'm not sure how we got from historic behavior to now, or the reasons
    behind it.

    There are circumstances in which that is preferable, and you certainly
    would not want to surprise users who depend on it.
    FWIW, managehome is false by default. It's only when it's true that you get
    create or delete behavior of the home directory.

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Matthew Burgess at Nov 6, 2012 at 9:10 pm

    On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Josh Cooper wrote:

    Historic behavior, at least for some providers, was to create the
    homedir upon user creation, but not to remove it upon user removal.
    I'm not sure how we got from historic behavior to now, or the reasons behind
    it.
    So #10354 (http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/10354) and commit
    ed738454 (https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/commit/ed7384546fd2f5b1dbbc61a2847c64227729041a)
    seem relevant here. I must admit to being quite surprised that
    managehome would actually delete a user's home directory on deletion
    of the user, but only because this is not how things typically work in
    *nix environments by default (as evidenced by the fact that the bug
    was raised in the first place).

    Thankfully for me, managehome is not true by default, so I've not been
    bitten by this, despite not reading the relevant docs :-)

    That said, would it perhaps be worth putting a note/warning in the
    documentation for managehome that it will delete the user's home
    directory and any data therein? The removal is mentioned under the
    'Features' entry for manages_homedir, but isn't explicitly called out
    in the 'Parameters' entry for managehome.

    Thanks,

    Matt.

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Josh Cooper at Nov 6, 2012 at 10:22 pm
    Hi Matt,

    On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Matthew Burgess
    wrote:
    On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Josh Cooper wrote:

    Historic behavior, at least for some providers, was to create the
    homedir upon user creation, but not to remove it upon user removal.
    I'm not sure how we got from historic behavior to now, or the reasons behind
    it.
    So #10354 (http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/10354) and commit
    ed738454 (https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/commit/ed7384546fd2f5b1dbbc61a2847c64227729041a)
    seem relevant here. I must admit to being quite surprised that
    managehome would actually delete a user's home directory on deletion
    of the user, but only because this is not how things typically work in
    *nix environments by default (as evidenced by the fact that the bug
    was raised in the first place).
    Thanks for the pointer. I did find
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/432 in which managehome was
    first implemented, and defines the remove home directory behavior. It
    seems that functionality was broken at some point later, and then
    fixed in the bug you mentioned, surprisingly in 2.7.19. Similarly,
    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/12081 was fixed in 2.7.12.
    Thankfully for me, managehome is not true by default, so I've not been
    bitten by this, despite not reading the relevant docs :-)

    That said, would it perhaps be worth putting a note/warning in the
    documentation for managehome that it will delete the user's home
    directory and any data therein? The removal is mentioned under the
    'Features' entry for manages_homedir, but isn't explicitly called out
    in the 'Parameters' entry for managehome.
    Sounds reasonable to me.

    Josh

    --
    Josh Cooper
    Developer, Puppet Labs

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
  • Nick Fagerlund at Nov 7, 2012 at 7:21 pm

    On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:22:25 PM UTC-8, Josh Cooper wrote:
    That said, would it perhaps be worth putting a note/warning in the
    documentation for managehome that it will delete the user's home
    directory and any data therein? The removal is mentioned under the
    'Features' entry for manages_homedir, but isn't explicitly called out
    in the 'Parameters' entry for managehome.
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    OK! Merged.
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/commit/87b3d29539cd931daff96621fcce11c2c27ac57e

    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/puppet-users/-/Y4B7jGgBRMsJ.
    To post to this group, send email to puppet-users@googlegroups.com.
    To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
    For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppuppet-users @
categoriespuppet
postedNov 6, '12 at 6:36p
activeNov 7, '12 at 7:21p
posts6
users4
websitepuppetlabs.com

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase