I've got a 3.0.0 node on Ubuntu 12.04 talking to a 2.7.19 master on Ubuntu
10.04. Until yesterday, this worked fine (and the other 3.0.0 node works
fine as well)

This node is in my 'test' environment and the other node uses an almost
identical node def except is in the 'prod' environment.

I don't know exactly what changed, but I am hoping someone can help me
track this down.

Of the two nodes, I did move the one that is still functioning normally out
of test and into prod, but other than hostnames and environments, they use
the same code base and settings.

I've posted a partial log (sudo puppet agent -t --debug) from the node
having problems at https://gist.github.com/4001797

But the basic issue is that puppet runs have started taking 15-20 minutes,
and in each case, the long pause is after

Debug: /Schedule[puppet]: Skipping device resources because running on a
host
Debug: file_metadata supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml pson raw yaml; using
pson
Debug: file_metadata supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml pson raw yaml; using
pson

is displayed.

I commented out a section of the node def to simplify, and same issues.

Any help in tracking this down would be much appreciated.

  • Llowder at Nov 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm
    Turns out it was a stray recurse => true
[...]

  • Nikola Petrov at Nov 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm
    Is there any particular reason that you are using an older master than
    the client. If not now it will pop up as a problem in the future. Why
    don't you just make the move?

    Best, Nikola
[...]

  • Llowder at Nov 2, 2012 at 6:18 pm

    Is there any particular reason that you are using an older master than
    the client. If not now it will pop up as a problem in the future. Why
    don't you just make the move?
    2 of my nodes got provisioned wrong. I am ready to upgrade my master and
    the rest of my nodes, but corporate policy will not allow me to at this
    point in time.

    As it currently stands, 3.0.0 client talking to a 2.7.19 master is
    relatively safe. The issue I was having was unrelated to the versions being
    used.

    I am well aware of the potential problems when a client is newer than a
    master, and I do not plan on running this way any longer than I have to.

    Best, Nikola
[...]

  • Paul Tötterman at Nov 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

    I've got a 3.0.0 node on Ubuntu 12.04 talking to a 2.7.19 master on Ubuntu
    10.04.

    Stop. That is not supported. Master must be newer or equal to client.