Is there a way to copy files to one host (foo) from another (bar) in the
same domain (mydom.org), where neither of them is the puppet-server, but
both of them have *puppetd* running ? I am looking for something similar to
the *server* method in *cfengine copy* where one can provide a server name
for the source file. Here is what I have tried and failed :

node 'foo.mydom.org' inherits default {
include foo_class::setup
}

foo_class::setup defined in the modules/foo_class/setup.pp in the
puppet-server node.

class foo_class::setup {
file {
"etc_passwd_file" :
path => "/etc/passwd",
source => "puppet://bar.mydom.org//${path_to_file}",

When running

puppet --noop --server=puppet --no-daemonize --verbose --onetime

I get error :

" ..... Could not evaluate: Could not retrieve information from
environment production source(s) puppet://bar.mydom.org//${path_to_file} at
/etc/puppet/modules/foo_class/manifests/setup.pp ...."

  • Greenhalgh, Mark at Oct 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm
    Yes you can use storedconfig's. Example of how I us them below.

    on bar

    @@file {
    "$check_mk_location/conf.d/main/${hostname}.mk":
    ensure => file,
    content => template("check_mk/main.erb"),
    tag => 'check_mk_remote'
    }

    on foo

    File <<| tag == 'check_mk_remote_parents' |>>

    http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/using_stored_configuration

[...]

    ________________________________
    This email has been sent from Gala Coral Group Limited ("GCG") or a subsidiary or associated company. GCG is registered in England with company number 07254686. Registered office address: 71 Queensway, London W2 4QH, United Kingdom; website: www.galacoral.com.

    This e-mail message (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain privileged and/or proprietorial information protected by legal rules. It is for use by the intended addressee only. If you believe you are not the intended recipient or that the sender is not authorised to send you the email, please return it to the sender (and please copy it to hq@galacoral.com) and then delete it from your computer. You should not otherwise copy or disclose its contents to anyone.

    Except where this email is sent in the usual course of business, the views expressed are those of the sender and not necessarily ours. We reserve the right to monitor all emails sent to and from our businesses, to protect the businesses and to ensure compliance with internal policies.

    Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error-free, as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, and may contain viruses; anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks. GCG accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses.

  • Iamauser at Oct 26, 2012 at 3:54 pm
    thanks for this. A bit confused with your answer :

    what do you mean *on bar* and *on foo*. Is it mean on the machine 'foo' or

    node 'foo' {blah...blah } on puppet-server ?

    I tried defining both for the corresponding nodes, but it does nothing.

[...]

    source => "puppet://bar.mydom.org//${path_to_file}<http://bar.mydom.org//$%7Bpath_to_file%7D>
    ",

    When running

    puppet --noop --server=puppet --no-daemonize --verbose --onetime

    I get error :

    " ..... Could not evaluate: Could not retrieve information from
    environment production source(s) puppet://bar.mydom.org//${path_to_file}<http://bar.mydom.org//$%7Bpath_to_file%7D>at /etc/puppet/modules/foo_class/manifests/setup.pp ...."

    For more options, visit this group at

    ------------------------------

    h...@galacoral.com <javascript:>) and then delete it from your computer.
    You should not otherwise copy or disclose its contents to anyone.

    Except where this email is sent in the usual course of business, the views
    expressed are those of the sender and not necessarily ours. We reserve the
    right to monitor all emails sent to and from our businesses, to protect the
    businesses and to ensure compliance with internal policies.

    Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error-free, as they
    can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, and may contain viruses;
    anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks.
    GCG accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by
    software viruses.
  • Greenhalgh, Mark at Oct 26, 2012 at 5:31 pm
    I think the best way I can explain this is to point you to the full recipe.

    https://github.com/Firebladee/Puppet/tree/master/modules/check_mk

    You will see in the init.pp file that it creates a file on the agent and then copies the file to the server.

    Is there a way to copy files to one host (foo) from another (bar) in the same domain (mydom.org<http://mydom.org>), where neither of them is the puppet-server, but both of them have *puppetd* running ? I am looking for something similar to the *server* method in *cfengine copy* where one can provide a server name for the source file. Here is what I have tried and failed :

    node 'foo.mydom.org<http://foo.mydom.org>' inherits default {
    include foo_class::setup
    }

    foo_class::setup defined in the modules/foo_class/setup.pp in the puppet-server node.

    class foo_class::setup {
    file {
    "etc_passwd_file" :
    path => "/etc/passwd",
    source => "puppet://bar.mydom.org//${path_to_file}<http://bar.mydom.org/$%7Bpath_to_file%7D>",

    When running

    puppet --noop --server=puppet --no-daemonize --verbose --onetime

    I get error :

    " ..... Could not evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment production source(s) puppet://bar.mydom.org//${path_to_file}<http://bar.mydom.org/$%7Bpath_to_file%7D> at /etc/puppet/modules/foo_class/manifests/setup.pp ...."

    This email has been sent from Gala Coral Group Limited ("GCG") or a subsidiary or associated company. GCG is registered in England with company number 07254686. Registered office address: 71 Queensway, London W2 4QH, United Kingdom; website: www.galacoral.com<http://www.galacoral.com>.

    This e-mail message (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain privileged and/or proprietorial information protected by legal rules. It is for use by the intended addressee only. If you believe you are not the intended recipient or that the sender is not authorised to send you the email, please return it to the sender (and please copy it to h...@galacoral.com<javascript:>) and then delete it from your computer. You should not otherwise copy or disclose its contents to anyone.