Hi

I have a serires of servers that their hostname (not FQDN) is built in the
same manner [header, 3 letters][collo, 4 letters][environment, 3
letters][number, 4 digits].
There's no specific separator between each part of hostname. Is there way I
can extract the collo part of the hostname in puppet?

TIA
Paolo

  • Steven Nemetz at Oct 24, 2012 at 3:58 pm
    You can use regex for that Here is an piece of my code for doing that. In my case [environment, 1 letter][collo, 2 letters] if $hostname =~ /^(.)(..)/ {
    $global_env = $1
    $location = $2
    }
    Steven
    I have a serires of servers that their hostname (not FQDN) is built in the same manner [header, 3 letters][collo, 4 letters][environment, 3 letters][number, 4 digits]. There's no specific separator between each part of hostname. Is there way I can extract the collo part of the hostname in puppet?

    TIA Paolo

  • Paolo at Oct 25, 2012 at 8:13 am
    Hi Steven

    Why the if statement?

    TIA
    Paolo

    ------------------------------
    I have a serires of servers that their hostname (not FQDN) is built in the
    same manner [header, 3 letters][collo, 4 letters][environment, 3
    letters][number, 4 digits].
    There's no specific separator between each part of hostname. Is there way
    I can extract the collo part of the hostname in puppet?

    TIA
    Paolo

    For more options, visit this group at
  • Steven Nemetz at Oct 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    Not sure if puppet will let you access regex without being in some type of test.
    Also, just habit. I'm usually doing some validation in the regex.

    In this case, I've moved validation to after this and have it validate against data in hiera. Hiera has a list of the valid data center codes.

    Steven