Is it possible to have Hiera look at a key set for the node first, before
looking at other items in the hierarchy?

In particular - I'm using Puppet Dashboard and am setting keys & params for
there, so I would like for any value set there for a node to be used over
another item in the hiera hierachy. What value would I have to specify in
the hierarchy for this, if it is possible?

Thanks,
TJ

  • Thomas Biddle at Oct 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm
    Puppet OS 2.7.19 if that is necessary as well.
    Is it possible to have Hiera look at a key set for the node first, before
    looking at other items in the hierarchy?

    In particular - I'm using Puppet Dashboard and am setting keys & params
    for there, so I would like for any value set there for a node to be used
    over another item in the hiera hierachy. What value would I have to specify
    in the hierarchy for this, if it is possible?

    Thanks,
    TJ
  • Llowder at Oct 19, 2012 at 9:03 pm

    Is it possible to have Hiera look at a key set for the node first, before
    looking at other items in the hierarchy?

    In particular - I'm using Puppet Dashboard and am setting keys & params
    for there, so I would like for any value set there for a node to be used
    over another item in the hiera hierachy. What value would I have to specify
    in the hierarchy for this, if it is possible?
    Only option I can think of would be to write a custom hiera backend that
    checks with the ENC for the value, and then setup your hiera.yaml so it
    looks there first.

    Thanks,
    TJ
  • Jcbollinger at Oct 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm

    Is it possible to have Hiera look at a key set for the node first, before
    looking at other items in the hierarchy?

    In particular - I'm using Puppet Dashboard and am setting keys & params
    for there, so I would like for any value set there for a node to be used
    over another item in the hiera hierachy. What value would I have to specify
    in the hierarchy for this, if it is possible?

    If you specify the levels of your data hierarchy in the conventional way --
    from most specific to least -- then the hiera() function should do what you
    want automatically. Do not use hiera_array() or hiera_hash() for this
    purpose, as those are specifically intended for collecting values declared
    at all levels of your hierarchy.

    John