What is the best way to get a full trace of what puppet is doing, with
variable dumps and state, to troubleshoot problems like where a user's
password keeps getting reset every time puppet runs even though the
password hashes match?

I want to hack out a way to get HPUX working like we have our Linux
environments but need to be able to track down right where a problem is
coming in so I can adjust / override / submit changes to the code base.

Thanks!

  • Jeff McCune at Oct 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

    What is the best way to get a full trace of what puppet is doing, with
    variable dumps and state, to troubleshoot problems like where a user's
    password keeps getting reset every time puppet runs even though the
    password hashes match?
    In these situations I try and run both the master and the agent with the
    following options turned on: --verbose --debug --trace --evaltrace

    I want to hack out a way to get HPUX working like we have our Linux
    environments but need to be able to track down right where a problem is
    coming in so I can adjust / override / submit changes to the code base.
    With the --debug flag, providers will print out the exact command they're
    executing to modify the system.

    --noop is also useful to see what commands Puppet _would_ execute without
    actually executing them.

    -Jeff

  • Jakov Sosic at Oct 21, 2012 at 2:18 am

    With the --debug flag, providers will print out the exact command
    they're executing to modify the system.
    What should a custom type/provider author put in provider code for
    --debug to print the command out, or is it automatic?

    --
    Jakov Sosic
    www.srce.unizg.hr

  • Jeff McCune at Oct 23, 2012 at 12:23 am

    With the --debug flag, providers will print out the exact command
    they're executing to modify the system.
    What should a custom type/provider author put in provider code for --debug
    to print the command out, or is it automatic

    It's automatic (but customizable) when the RAL synchronizes the "is" value
    to the "should" value.

    See:
    https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/master/lib/puppet/property.rb#L101-118

    -Jeff