Hi all,

I would like to install a nagios server without reinventing the wheel.

I know there's nagios (client?) functionality in core puppet, and a lot of
modules in the forge. Unfortunately, the most promising one, thias/nagios
uses thias/apache_httpd, and I would like to stick with puppetlabs/httpd to
prevent fragmentation.

Has anyone successfully implemented it ? Is there any official
documentation besides the type reference ? Should I dig in thias/nagios ?

Thanks in advance,

Francois

  • Matthias Saou at Oct 15, 2012 at 9:51 am
    Hi,

    Nagios servers tend to quickly become complex beasts :-) I know what
    all of the advantages of managing them cleanly with puppet are, never
    missing a single typical check from being added ever again being the
    main one, but there are so many downsides that I'm still not entirely
    convinced that it's a setup suitable for everyone. For instance, it's
    quite hard to get things right in a heterogeneous environment, and
    implementing simple custom checks becomes exponentially complicated.

    Anyway, if you plan on trying out my module, feedback or pull requests
    are very welcome. The httpd dependency on my own module can easily be
    omitted with nagios::server { apache_httpd => false }, then using any
    other httpd module of your choosing. Same with php => false if you
    want to use your own module.
    I always try to make my modules standalone, and when that's not
    possible, at least leave people a way to disable dependencies on other
    of my own modules so that they can use their own instead.

    Good luck!
    Matthias

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 02:00:18 -0700 (PDT)

    --
    Matthias Saou ██ ██
    ██ ██