Hello,

I have a need to extend a default provider. Now whilst I can/will raise a
request to add the required functionality to the blastwave.rb provider in
the short-term what would be the best way to use my extended version.

I can add the updated provider to my global module which drops my custom
versions in and pluginsync pulls that into $libdir fine.

But what is the lookup path list. Will Puppet go to $rubysitedir/... before
$libdir or will my synced version get used first consistently ?

Thanks
Paul

  • Jcbollinger at Oct 12, 2012 at 1:29 pm

    I have a need to extend a default provider. Now whilst I can/will raise a
    request to add the required functionality to the blastwave.rb provider in
    the short-term what would be the best way to use my extended version.

    I can add the updated provider to my global module which drops my custom
    versions in and pluginsync pulls that into $libdir fine.

    But what is the lookup path list. Will Puppet go to $rubysitedir/...
    before $libdir or will my synced version get used first consistently ?
    You can test and see whether your custom provider gets chosen. The choice
    should be consistent, at least as long as the set of other providers
    remains constant. Safer, though, would be to explicitly specify the
    provider to use via your resources' 'provider' parameter.

    John