Hi folks,

I'm using this
plugin https://github.com/ripienaar/facter-facts/tree/master/facts-dot-d
and I can't get a fact out of a simple shell script. YAML TXT JSON works
well

My little shell script testfact.sh looks like

#!/bin/bash
echo "TEST=NOT WORKING"

made it executable
chmod +x testfact.sh

made a puppet agent -t to read the new fact

BUT
$facter --puppet
is not getting the fact

Thanx a lot!

  • Jones at Oct 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm
    It's finally working.... some guy thought it's a good idea to comment the
    part out in the factsd script ^^

    and I can't get a fact out of a simple shell script. YAML TXT JSON works
    well

    My little shell script testfact.sh looks like

    #!/bin/bash
    echo "TEST=NOT WORKING"

    made it executable
    chmod +x testfact.sh

    made a puppet agent -t to read the new fact

    BUT
    $facter --puppet
    is not getting the fact

    Thanx a lot!
  • Ellison Marks at Oct 11, 2012 at 9:03 pm
    The facter dot d plugin is probably in a little bit of flux right now. I
    know it was included in the puppet stdlib module for a while, but it
    apparently was recently removed from there(commit
    8fc00ea5b6b39b220ebc6391489915dbeeb364ab). R.I.P's version is what the
    stdlib version was based on, and is a little on the old side now, I
    believe, which could be why part of it was commented. I'm not sure if there
    are plans to include that plugin in a more core role in the future, perhaps
    one of the puppet team could comment on that.
    and I can't get a fact out of a simple shell script. YAML TXT JSON works
    well

    My little shell script testfact.sh looks like

    #!/bin/bash
    echo "TEST=NOT WORKING"

    made it executable
    chmod +x testfact.sh

    made a puppet agent -t to read the new fact

    BUT
    $facter --puppet
    is not getting the fact

    Thanx a lot!
  • R.I.Pienaar at Oct 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm

    The facter dot d plugin is probably in a little bit of flux right
    now. I know it was included in the puppet stdlib module for a while,
    but it apparently was recently removed from there(commit
    8fc00ea5b6b39b220ebc6391489915dbeeb364ab) . R.I.P's version is what
    the stdlib version was based on, and is a little on the old side
    now, I believe, which could be why part of it was commented. I'm not
    sure if there are plans to include that plugin in a more core role
    in the future, perhaps one of the puppet team could comment on that.
    the released version of puppetlabs-stdlib on the puppet forge still has
    the facts.d plugin included and its newer than mine - based on mine but
    improved.

    facter 2 will have it merged with it and the stdlib will then remove
    facts.d properly