Hey all,

I'm not sure if there's a real issue or if I'm doing something incorrectly.

I have a custom compiled gem that I'm installing via:

package { "sapnwrfc-0.24":
ensure => 'installed',
provider => 'gem',
source => "/export/admin_scripts/sapnwrfc-0.24",
}

On first run, it installs correctly. A 'gem list' shows it as:

sapnwrfc (0.24 x86_64-linux)

However, every subsequent checkin with the master results in:

Thu Sep 27 20:07:34 -0700 2012 Puppet (notice): Starting Puppet client
version 2.7.19
Thu Sep 27 20:07:49 -0700 2012
/Stage[main]/my_app/Package[sapnwrfc-0.24]/ensure (notice): created
Thu Sep 27 20:07:53 -0700 2012 Puppet (notice): Finished catalog run in
12.90 seconds

I've tried changing the ensure from 'installed' to '0.24', '0.24
x86_64-linux', etc. to no avail... it keeps registering a change.

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

  • Peter Brown at Oct 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm
    Does it actually install?
    I find if package resources try to install on each run it means they
    don't get installed correctly.
[...]

  • Jmadtech at Oct 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm
    The gem is there and installed. I didn't install it by hand, so it did get
    installed by puppet at some point. I'm assuming it's because the gem
    source file is local so it has no way to verify the file version versus the
    installed version.
[...]

  • Peter Brown at Oct 2, 2012 at 12:17 pm
    Considering the source you have seems to have a version in it already
    have you tried it without the version number in the name?
    as in
    package { "sapnwrfc":
[...]

    For more options, visit this group at
    For more options, visit this group at

[...]