Dear All,

I have enviroment testing, staging and production for puppet,
when i trying to test running staging on production, run command:
puppetd --test --env staging # its work
puppetd --test --env staging --tags ntp # its work
puppetd --test --env staging --tags http # its doesn't work

Strange usually I never got a problem like this, its just not working for
one module just for http.
even i change enviroment on puppet.conf file from production into staging.
I already check on the other file, like site.pp and the other file. This
working before, until i make some
change on init.pp for http module, but my changes is nothing important
related into this. Just copying some file.

thank for any help
Regards

  • Jcbollinger at Sep 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

    I have enviroment testing, staging and production for puppet,
    when i trying to test running staging on production, run command:
    puppetd --test --env staging # its work
    puppetd --test --env staging --tags ntp # its work
    puppetd --test --env staging --tags http # its doesn't work

    Strange usually I never got a problem like this, its just not working for
    one module just for http.
    even i change enviroment on puppet.conf file from production into staging.

    "Doesn't work" means what? Does the agent emit an error message?

    Does anything useful show up in the master's log? If you run the agent
    with the --debug flag then does the additional output shed any more light
    on the problem?

    I already check on the other file, like site.pp and the other file. This
    working before, until i make some
    change on init.pp for http module, but my changes is nothing important
    related into this. Just copying some file.
    If you revert your changes does the expected function return? If so, then
    I have to disagree with your assertion that the changes are unimportant.
    If you present the old and new versions then perhaps we can figure out why
    the change had this unexpected effect.

    John

  • Shell heriyanto at Sep 25, 2012 at 10:29 am
    Thanks for your reply john, the funny thing is:

    running on production environment with "environment=production" option on
    puppet.conf:
    puppetd --test --env staging # its work
    puppetd --test --env staging --tags ntp # its work
    puppetd --test --env staging --tags http # its doesn't work

    running on testing environment with "environment=testing" option on
    puppet.conf:
    puppetd --test --env staging # its work
    puppetd --test --env staging --tags ntp # its work
    puppetd --test --env staging --tags http # its work

    if there is something wrong with my init.pp on testing its also doesn't
    work.

    Regards
    thanks

    I have enviroment testing, staging and production for puppet,
    when i trying to test running staging on production, run command:
    puppetd --test --env staging # its work
    puppetd --test --env staging --tags ntp # its work
    puppetd --test --env staging --tags http # its doesn't work

    Strange usually I never got a problem like this, its just not working for
    one module just for http.
    even i change enviroment on puppet.conf file from production into staging.

    "Doesn't work" means what? Does the agent emit an error message?
    its just Finish applying catalog, without any changes.
    Does anything useful show up in the master's log? If you run the agent
    with the --debug flag then does the additional output shed any more light
    on the problem?
    Already did, but nothing error report or something wrong.

    I already check on the other file, like site.pp and the other file. This
    working before, until i make some
    change on init.pp for http module, but my changes is nothing important
    related into this. Just copying some file.
    If you revert your changes does the expected function return? If so, then
    I have to disagree with your assertion that the changes are unimportant.
    If you present the old and new versions then perhaps we can figure out why
    the change had this unexpected effect.

    my change just add
    file { "/etc/httpd/conf/magic":
    owner => root,
    group => apache,
    mode => 640,
    source => ["puppet:///http/conf/magic",
    ],
    notify => Service['httpd'],
    }

    John

  • Jcbollinger at Sep 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

    On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM, jcbollinger <John.Bo...@stjude.org<javascript:>
[...]

    That change did not of itself cause the behavior you describe. Depending
    on your process, however, you may have accidentally caused other changes.
    For example, if you keep your manifests in a version control system and you
    work with a local copy, then perhaps you committed additional changes along
    with that change. Or could someone else have made a change that caused the
    result you report?

    Alternatively, are you certain that the exact command you are now issuing
    produced different results in the past? For example, I find it slightly
    suspicious that you are using "--env" instead of "--environment",
    especially in light of the new information about the affect of setting the
    environment in puppet.conf.

    You can test what environment you're getting by adding this to your site.pp:

    notify { 'my environment':
    message => "My environment is ${environment}."
    }

    My best guess at this point is that you do not declare anything tagged with
    "http" in environment "production", whereas in some other environments,
    including "testing", you do. If you do not otherwise declare an
    environment for a node then it is placed in environment "production".

    John

  • Shell heriyanto at Oct 15, 2012 at 8:55 am
    Thank you, i already solved by forcing with cobbler into, environment that
    i want.
[...]

    For more options, visit this group at