I need to set some environment variables on some of my systems. How can I
do this with puppet? I tried googling but just got results about setting
variables in order to get puppet running, not setting them on the clients.

Thanks.

  • Luke Bigum at Sep 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm
    If you are trying to set environment variables for a users then
    /etc/profile.d/ is your best bet on Red Hat flavoured OS' and
    /etc/sysconfig/ for services.

    If you are trying to set an environment variable for Puppet agents
    itself it depends on how you run Puppet. As a daemon?
    /etc/sysconfig/puppet will work. From cron? Add the environment variable
    to the cron line.

    If you are trying to modify the environment of the Ruby process that's
    running Puppet from within the same Puppet run then that may not be
    possible.